Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Very nice!

A writeup would be nice too........ :)

How long did it take? How much did it cost?

-Damon

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed that last post called "Trunk Mod?" and my dad helped me wtih it. I went through several drill bits, and spent less than $10 on parts from Menards. Simple hinges and FLAT-HEAD screws are the key. I've been drilling holes all day in my trunk to make the trunk lie flat. Flat screws will help. I pretty much followed that last write-up word for word.

If anyone has any suggestions to make it more sturdy, let me know, Its not going anywhere, but its wobbly...

G

·
Originally posted by duratecchie@Aug 15 2004, 11:31 PM
Very nice!

A writeup would be nice too........ :)

How long did it take? How much did it cost?

-Damon
If you want to do yours, I still have all the hinges, etc. installed on my spare 97 deck lid. We could take them off and transfer to your car.

IIRC, they're garage door hinges.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've never really liked the look of these trunk mods, but I gotta say that looks totally badass! I really like the way the trunk lines up with the rear window on the Gen III. Now you need to Night Shade the tails!

Good Work!

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
How much did the total kit cost?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedyGreeny@Aug 15 2004, 11:52 PM
I followed that last post called "Trunk Mod?" and my dad helped me wtih it. I went through several drill bits, and spent less than $10 on parts from Menards. Simple hinges and FLAT-HEAD screws are the key. I've been drilling holes all day in my trunk to make the trunk lie flat. Flat screws will help. I pretty much followed that last write-up word for word.

If anyone has any suggestions to make it more sturdy, let me know, Its not going anywhere, but its wobbly...
10 bucks.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Thanks JR. I'm still a little hung over from this weekend. Where do I go if there is no Menards?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's probably just miscellaneous hardware, like screws and hinges that you need to get. You can probably buy them at Home Depot or something. Talk to teh Bob about it. It looks like he had it done on Anonda's car at one point.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Cool, Thanks man. :thumb:

·
Registered
359 Posts
:eek: Wow! That looks great!

<_< Hmm... my trunk is all busted (it won't spring open), so this would be a good time for me to do that as well. What can I say, I'm impressionable! Especially after seeing something that looks that good! Good work!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
There are a total of 4 OEM trunklid bolts that hold the trunk to the prop-arms. I use the bottom 2 to keep the trunk at the OEM-snugness so I don't get leaks when it rains. IIRC, the bolts have 5/16" boltheads and I just use a nutdriver to remove them to show people. I experimented with this and the best way to mount the hinges is to move the hinge down about 2" more than what SpeedyGreeny has done and it will sit flush with the topend of the prop-arms. That's the way mine looked before my good friend Mikey showed me the proper installation.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a total of 4 OEM trunklid bolts that hold the trunk to the prop-arms. I use the bottom 2 to keep the trunk at the OEM-snugness so I don't get leaks when it rains. IIRC, the bolts have 5/16" boltheads and I just use a nutdriver to remove them to show people. I experimented with this and the best way to mount the hinges is to move the hinge down about 2" more than what SpeedyGreeny has done and it will sit flush with the topend of the prop-arms. That's the way mine looked before my good friend Mikey showed me the proper installation.
I've found that I need stronger hinges because over night last night, the spring rods that help lift the trunk pushed up against the trunk lid and warped the hinges a little. Any Ideas for stronger hinges?

I was also thinking that if I had more pictures of a Bull with a flipflop trunk, that I'd get a better idea of how to make it work better.

By the way- does your's still have the trunk lift rods attached?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Try to get heavy duty hardened stainless steel hinges or stainless steel security hinges. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask the guys in the door dept for the strongest hinges they have that will match your application.

JR

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looks good, but personally I'd go with some bump stops like someone else on here just used for this mod. That way the trunk will sit flat instead of being tipped down. Either way though, that mod kicks a$$!!

......just wish us GenII guys could do this....... :(

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ouch! That sucks. :blink:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts