Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1999 Sable and she is a moody little thing. Wipers will fire up on their own every now and again, we get the A/C coming out the defroster vents....but she's a tank, so we wont replace her.

Now, a new problem has developed. The running lights (daytime headlights) have started to flicker. When you actually turn the headlights -on- it stops and to make matters worse, it doesnt do it all the time, so I'm left chasing a ghost in the system.

It may be worth noting that we are on the third alternator in just over a year. The first one was the factory and died a natural death. The second was a newly manufactured one and lasted 53 weeks before melting.... yes, melting... down under the hood. The current alternator has been on for about 3 weeks now and was reading fine when I installed it.

I let it run for about 30 minutes and the flashing started. I have checked the fuse and it is good. Also, the flashing continues after you turn the engine off, so my first thought of alternator problems seems to have been shot down.

Any ideas on the flickering would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Your DRL module is failing. There is no danger of damage to the vehicle so I would not be concerned about it. The Daytime Running Lights are there so that you be seen not to give you light to see by; consequently, the flashing lights actually draw more attention to your car. The module is located under the battery tray, inside the driver's fenderwell and it is necessary to remove the front half of th fender liner to access it.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read somewhere that fixing a faulty DRL module was "as cheap and easy as changing a fuse".

If I find that site again I'm going to ask where they buy fuses. $90 and a special order from the dealer later, got a new module. LOL :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts