Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all,

I'm looking at an '04 FFV with about 50K on it. I will only be using gasoline in any event.

Does anyone here have experience/feedback on the fuel economy when using gasoline in the gasoline Vulcan vs. the FFV?

Also, any word on the reliability of the FFV components, and replacement cost vs. the gasoline-only setup?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
It should be the same. I believe the FFV vehicles have beefier parts that can handle the corrosive nature of ethanol, otherwise everything else is the same so you should get the same gas mileage. Ethanol has less BTU's per gallon than gasoline so you need to take that into account when buying. Price wise it's a little cheaper per gallon than gasoline, but taking the BTU's into account, it actually works out to be more expensive typically.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You'll get the same mileage as a gas Vulcan, when running on regular gasoline. It only gets f150 mileage when on the corn fuel.

All of the parts are basically the same. The only things that are really different are fuel system parts, none of which I've had to replace in my car's 152k miles. Any repairs I have done to mine didn't involve "FFV specific" components, so you'll be fine. Especially with it being a newer car.

EDIT: I take that back, I did get FFV specific upstream O2 sensors from the dealer. The bosch o'reilly ones made the car run like ass.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well okay. I bought it. ;)

04 Vulcan, 49K, merlot. woot. :)
[/b]
:welcome: back Steve! Long time no see. Post some pics!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Didn't FFVs get slightly higher compression pistons/con rods and knock sensors(up until the point where they added them again)?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Didn't FFVs get slightly higher compression pistons/con rods and knock sensors(up until the point where they added them again)?
[/b]
If only.

The Taurus FFV's have the same or lower compression ratio, depending on year. (why, Ford? WHY?!). The compression change was from a different piston. Supposedly some of the rangers, not all, got higher compression. The knock sensors, I'm not sure about.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
All I know about knock sensors is that all Vulcans got them back for '02.

If only my car was made like two weeks later... :lol2:

·
Registered
232 Posts
From my experience with a 3.0 FFV in a Ranger, you also have bigger injuectors as well as a much different PCM program. It takes more E85 to get the same power, so the injectors must flow more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts