Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, I awake to see my SHO listing to one side. Closer inspection shows that the air in my tire made a run for it. The nail was an accomplice. Both are still at large. :(

So, I figure, no biggie. I'll just jack her up, pull the wheel, and run down to the tire shop down the road and have it plugged. So I remove the lock nut, and then nut #2... #3... and then it happens...
Oh n0s!! :eek: I've rounded off the nut with my crossiron!! :eek:
Ok, so I really said
*crossiron strips nut*
Oh you gotta be f&*kin' kiddin' me!!  :angry:
...but thats not all that important.
So I call my job and let them know that me being on time for work is just not gonna happen, and begin to weigh my options.
So I take the Jeep, and run to AZ to grab a can of Fix-A-Flat, get back, and put it in. It should be enough to get me to the tire place without destroying my rim.
So now the tire is about 7/8" inflated. Of course, the 1 can wasn't nearly enough. <_<
So I do 20MPH tops to the gas station for air, and then shoot over to the tire shop to get it plugged. There I meet Greg, a fellow SHO fanatic! Definitely a bonus to a ****** day! :thumb: He used to have a Champagne 1990, but sold it, and is looking for a Gen2 in good shape.
So while he's working, I take the time to grab a quick look at the rotors.

:blink:

[url='http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=137907&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg']http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=137907&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2048' height='1536' class='attach' />[/url][/url]
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=137908&original=1][url='http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=137908&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg'][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=137908&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='2048' height='1536' class='attach' />[/url][/url]

Yeah, that sucks about as much as it seems that it does. <_<

Oh and it's time for new tires.
So, how was everyone elses day? :(

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
you should have learn from all my horror stories than sho's are ****** of the automotive world. They take all your money and barely give you an return on your investment. Wait till rear calpiers seize up or the starter blows up. Then have a fun time replacing that stuff because once you fix one thing something else breaks right afterwards or as your working on the car <_<

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think Vanessa is having seperation anxiety from you Hamal. :lol2: Somethings wrong with the rear right brake... We replaced the pads on both rears, but the right rear outer pad was missing :blink: So we replaced the pads and rotors, but shes still making grinding sounds, but the pad looks to be ok... I dunno, she wants ya back Hamal lol. BTW the rear left brake pads werent even 50% worn yet... :huh: I dunno... Sorry to hear about the SHO Hamal, that car is the definition of Sexy. Hopefully things will work out ok with it. What would cause the rotor cracking?? Crappy rotors + Lots of heat???

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Aug 4 2004, 01:49 AM
I think Vanessa is having seperation anxiety from you Hamal. :lol2: Somethings wrong with the rear right brake... We replaced the pads on both rears, but the right rear outer pad was missing :blink: So we replaced the pads and rotors, but shes still making grinding sounds, but the pad looks to be ok... I dunno, she wants ya back Hamal lol. BTW the rear left brake pads werent even 50% worn yet... :huh: I dunno... Sorry to hear about the SHO Hamal, that car is the definition of Sexy. Hopefully things will work out ok with it. What would cause the rotor cracking?? Crappy rotors + Lots of heat???
Sounds like a sticky caliper... but I replaced that caliper and the hose also. :huh: :unsure:

Although...
I didn't replace the bracket and slide pins, which I recently discovered (on Isabel, no less) that the slide pins are usually the culprit. :oops:

Try replacing those slide pins and seeing how that goes.

You said that there was a grinding noise... does it feel as if the pads are holding the rotor or something, or does it sound more like the bearing? If that caliper had a seizing problem, then the bearing may have been damaged by the excessive heat generated.

G

·
Hamal, those are some ugly calipers and rotors. If it were me, I would change it all out. BEFORE it all happens. That's my motto!

Sal

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, obvoiusly the rotor will need replacing, as well as the pads. The caliper, however, can wait until winter when I do the 96 SHO upgrade. :evil_grin:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Sorry to hear that Hamal. My SES light came on last night, so I gotta hit Autozone for the codes this afternoon. The funny thing is that it's running smoothly, although I think I've developed a bit of a valve tap over the last 5K miles.

JR

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow, Hamal, what did you do to those rotors?! :freak2: :lol:

Nah, jk. Dont worry, man. It looks like anything bad that could of happened has happened, so I predict an extended period of good luck with your car. :thumb: And don't listen to Greg; his bum is still sore from his ol' GEN 1. :freak2: :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
...bad day a couple days ago... woke up, walked thru a spider web...got a big ass spider on me (no idea where the thign came from)....went up stairs to take a shower...shower curtain rod nails me on the head and falls...i look over and my radio is missing....go fetch it, plug it in...bump the wire for the window fan, it flops out of the window...take my shower...come out to no towels.... so now i am late to work, i get in my car start it up and i pull forward about a foot and here "tick", thinking it was something stuck to the tire i drove down the road, and kept hering it... i get out and theres a long screw sticking out of a peice of tread on my tire....cleary vandalism...so i had to get my car out of the road....got back to the driveway and the tire popped. go to put it on a jack, and my trunk is full of crap...i break the cardboard thing that sits over the spare, then get grease from the jack all over me.... hop in the '04 grand am, which then in turn gives me a check engine light and barley any brake pressure, as well as the passenger window being off track and rear window defroster not working. Get to work, most everyone was out for the morning, but of course there was a crapload to do.... So my car sits on a jack...waiting for new tires for the 18" rims i just bought (not gonna bother buying a 15" tire when i have 18's on the way)

Sucks your rotor was cracked...when i had my dodge aries, I had one break in half, the vents rotted out, lol. I always save my old brake parts just in case... ihave a set of used pads, and a set of nasty rotors...but hey the work in an emergency :D

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I didn't replace the bracket and slide pins, which I recently discovered (on Isabel, no less) that the slide pins are usually the culprit
You can get caliper brackets on rockauto with pins and all for around 25 bucks (for my gen 3 at least) I couldnt get my pins to come out of the brakets....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts