Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somehow(probably keyed) my hood got bad scratches all over it, and i want to get it ready to sell. im thinking of doing a flat black hood for a few reasons,

1:To get it painted to match the rest of the car would cost mad money
2:If i were to get it touched up it wouldn't look much better if at all
3:I think flat black hoods look cool, i just havent seen one yet with my color scheme
4:way cheaper

so how do you guys think a flat black hood would look on a dark red 99 taurus. most of my friends have been saying that it would look pretty good because i recently had all my windows tinted to 15%.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Well, to be honest with you I dont think it would look good at all, kinda tacky and ricey........:lol2:

Honestly, if you just paint the whole hood flat black, its going to look funny. If you follow a body line and make a "pattern" with it it will look good. Play in photoshop before you spray. My hood is done in satin black vinyl, something for you to think about also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah wish i had PS. the bad thing is that the scratches are way on the passenger side so i would have to paint the whole thing. yours looks very good though.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
OK, so think of a reverse of what I have. Lay out a pattern over the bad area of the hood. Carry that along the side and under the windows as aside stripe. The better it looks, the more your going to get selling it. If it looks like a "hack" job, your going to loose money on the sale. Sit down, look at your body lines and see what jumps out at you.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Here is a quick PS of the idea you could look at.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I didn't know you put LED's on your headlights - Love that look.

And agree- a solid matte-black will look worse than leaving the scratches. Do you have any pics of the hood/scratched area that someone with PS could possibly help you out with??

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you are truly going to sell it you might reconsider doing anything to the paint as it may not affect the value, just my .02...

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I don't think it would make the car any uglier......

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I deal with people and ask their opinions, I expect them to be honest with me and don't tell me what I want to hear. So I'm going to give you that.

ANY one body panel that is randomly flat black, primer black, primer gray and IS NOT a rat rod, looks like ass and tells everyone exactly what you don't want to convey, that you were too cheap, or lazy, to paint it. The reason why a lot of 60s and 70s cars had a flat black or matte black hood was due to cutting down on the glare of the sun being reflected by the paint on the hood, since in those cars, there was A LOT of visible hood line. In today's modern cars, there is almost no visible hood line, so there is no real reason to do it in today's cars.

"Cost mad money" to paint a hood? Uhh where are you going for estimates? Last body work I had done was in 2005 or 2006, it was on a 2003 Mazda6, got an aftermarket front bumper. I dropped the car with them, they were to do the following:

- Remove trunk and trim, sand trunk down, fill in holes left from emblems/trim, re-paint trunk and blend.
- Remove old front bumper, fit new bumper, sand imperfections out of the mold, paint new bumper and blend.

Cost? $300 and this was not Maaco or some little rinky dink shop in the middle of nowhere, there was no fisheye, no orange peel and it was impossible to tell the car had fresh paint on those two pieces, even under those specialized lights. Any painter in the body industry can blend the edges to match the old paint.

I would imagine re-painting the hood wouldn't run you more than $200. Hell I had a friend who owned a custom shop and just in labor only cost me $200 for installing and painting a new hood, new front bumper, new RF fender, fender skirt, bumper bar and windshield washer bottle on an 08 Kia Sportage, I supplied all the parts and paint.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
When I deal with people and ask their opinions, I expect them to be honest with me and don't tell me what I want to hear. So I'm going to give you that.

ANY one body panel that is randomly flat black, primer black, primer gray and IS NOT a rat rod, looks like ass and tells everyone exactly what you don't want to convey, that you were too cheap, or lazy, to paint it. The reason why a lot of 60s and 70s cars had a flat black or matte black hood was due to cutting down on the glare of the sun being reflected by the paint on the hood, since in those cars, there was A LOT of visible hood line. In today's modern cars, there is almost no visible hood line, so there is no real reason to do it in today's cars.

"Cost mad money" to paint a hood? Uhh where are you going for estimates? Last body work I had done was in 2005 or 2006, it was on a 2003 Mazda6, got an aftermarket front bumper. I dropped the car with them, they were to do the following:

- Remove trunk and trim, sand trunk down, fill in holes left from emblems/trim, re-paint trunk and blend.
- Remove old front bumper, fit new bumper, sand imperfections out of the mold, paint new bumper and blend.

Cost? $300 and this was not Maaco or some little rinky dink shop in the middle of nowhere, there was no fisheye, no orange peel and it was impossible to tell the car had fresh paint on those two pieces, even under those specialized lights. Any painter in the body industry can blend the edges to match the old paint.

I would imagine re-painting the hood wouldn't run you more than $200. Hell I had a friend who owned a custom shop and just in labor only cost me $200 for installing and painting a new hood, new front bumper, new RF fender, fender skirt, bumper bar and windshield washer bottle on an 08 Kia Sportage, I supplied all the parts and paint.

WOW...I wish I could go to your body shop....... My wife had a 3 inch scratch that was through the paint on the rear fender of her '03 mustang. If the car wasnt a garage queen with only 30k on it, I may have let it go. The insurance company quoted almost $700 to have it fixed, after my deductable of $250, they gave me a check for just over $400 to get it fixed. My last bull, I had a door crease that I wanted fixed, it was just under $500 for that. Its really different if you know the owner of a body shop, or someone who works there. You can save money that way, but most people arent that lucky and have to pay "retail" for body work. When I was looking to paint my 3 piece tail light assembly, the lowest est. I got was $175 and that was with me doing the prep and primer and having them off the car.

THANKS Trevor, yea, I have gone nuts on the wagon since you last saw it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replacement Hood as an Option?

kbcnick,

An option might be to get another red hood from the auto recyclers (junk yard). Remember that they made lots of these cars. Bring your car when you look for the hood since there may be different shades of red across years of the same body style. Paint fading is another factor with cars as they age. car-part.com might help find the part in your region. Something as big as a hood would probably be a pick-up only item.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. -- SJP

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
A solid matte hood looks like **** and makes me think ricer. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts