Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I start the car it sounds ever so slightly sluggish when turning over (barely noticable). Then the "Theft" light will flash rapidly for approx 30 seconds. It then slows down and flashes what appears to be a code, one flash the six (16). It repeats this pattern for a couple minutes then goes away.
A couple months back this happened but I did not notice the pattern at the time. One day the car would simply not turn over. replaced the battery and all was well up until a few weeks ago. Now seems to be coming more often.
Anybody ever seen this? Any idea what the flashing 1 and 6 is (a maintenance code?)?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
thats messed up....but to clarify....the car does start...correct?

Brad

edit: according to the ford cd-

Vehicle Starts But Flashes a Fault Code on the Theft Indicator When the Ignition Is in Run

Possible Source(s):
Incorrect PCM calibration.

Action(s) to take:
GO to DTC U1147.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car starts, no problem. The hesitation is ever so slight, like I said, barely noticable. May not even be connected to the flashing light. I just thought it odd last time I started seeing this the battery quit. It seemed logical at the time as the battery was original, 5 yrs old.

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Jan 3 2004, 05:01 PM
thats messed up....but to clarify....the car does start...correct?

Brad

edit: according to the ford cd-

Vehicle Starts But Flashes a Fault Code on the Theft Indicator When the Ignition Is in Run

Possible Source(s):
Incorrect PCM calibration.

Action(s) to take:
GO to DTC U1147.
Wow, my mom's windstar just started doing this and we noticed it after ford reflashed the pcm. Guess I need to show this to her.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds like a PCM problem. Might have to drag it into a Ford dealer to read the proprietary codes they gave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Looks like I'm off to the pound. Wish me luck, I'll let you know the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My car seems to be doing that same exact thing more and more frequently lately. It started off once a month now it's doing it 2-4 times a week. The light flashes after start but engine continues to run fine. Guess Ill be making a trip to Ford as well.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Has the "Panic" button been pushed on any of your alarms? I know on my 99 SE Sport if the "panic" button was hit, the next time you started the car the theft light would flash all crazy. Why don't you guys try setting off the "panic" feature and letting it go until it shuts itself off instead of shutting it off yourself. Then go out and start the car and drive it. See if the theft light flashes.

Hey, it's worth a try. It happened to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to close this out. Temps around these parts dropped to about -30C this week. Became extremely sluggish to turn over, even for this cold. So had the battery tested and failed miserably, 115 CCA vice 600. Ford guy said a weak batt could cause the flashing "THEFT".
Anyway its gone, all is well again in Taurus Land. Thanks again for the help.

X

·
0 Posts
Hmmm...I guess I have my battery looked at. Bad starting = bad battery, duh...off to autozone I go. Has the theft light come back at all? Thanks for the follow up.

X

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info, the battery had about 144 and failed when I tried to start the car after he had tested it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts