Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way to work this morning, and was stuck behind a very slow moving car. I pulled out to pass him and pushed down on the accelerator pedal, and my car lost its acceleration power and started to run crappy. At this moment, the engine light illuminated and started flashing, I managed after about 10 seconds or so to build up a little speed, and then the light went out and the car started running normally again. I have never seen this before in any vehicle I have ever driven. After I got off work, I drove down to the Advance Auto store and had them try to read any fault codes on the vehicle, but there was no fault code for this flashing engine light. The store clerk told me that it could have been my fuel pump as they do not register a fault code when they go bad. He said it could have been something in my vacuum system sucking up water, as it was raining this morning during my trip to work. He advised me to watch this and see if the problem comes back, or if it was a one time thing. A guy at work said that it could have been the O2 sensor, but I dont know if that kind of trouble leaves a fault code or not. Anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Flashing Light usually means that it's getting a "Pending" code. Could be any thing. And if it goes out that code was resolved by the PCM changing any of a number of variables. If it then stays on constant, the what the PCM attempted to resolved was a failure: and it is still "broken".

Some auto parts stores will let you use their $30 Harbor freight scanner. Some have better scanners that will show you was a "pending" error. Some, again have the cheap scanners.

If they lend you are rather long looking one with a serial port on the end, in addition to the ODB II connector. That is a good one.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Flashing engine light indicates a severe type a misfiire, meaning it's getting fuel but not igniting it. Driving it while it is doing this will effectively murder your catalytic converters. Change the spark plugs and check the wires and coil pack.

he code is probably stored as pending if it didnt occur that long, some parts stores have better readers such as Checker (now Orielly's), but only at the Checker branded stores has a fairly decent scanner that you can use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts