Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello my Taurus family, I recently purchased my 01 Taurus, 120K miles, DOHC, Neat condition.

Very comfortable and powerful, gives around 240 miles per tank (16G Fillups) which I find good for the age and mostly city driving.

My annoyance is the following, I purchased it with the Check Engine Light on, It usually flashes several times a day on a red light or stop and go traffic, never on the highway, When it flashes the car stutters and feels as if its struggling.

Autozone pulled up two codes, P0430 & P0304, Upon readings I changed the following : Sparkplugs, Sparkplug wires, Fuel filter, Coilpack, Air filter, and the Serpentine belt which seemed worn out. I then disconnected the battery for a few hours to reset the codes only to have them return 20-40 miles later.

Now I know that should be regular maintenance, But I don't want my expenses to stack up and go around guessing if a $200 sensor is the key then I purchase it only to have the same issue.

I would like your input, I suppose you guys have more experience than I do, Know a DIY method or just may give me advice on avoiding a mechanic that seems like is helping me but ends up changing things that where doing just fine before repairs.

Thanks folks!:lol2:

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Have you checked compression on #4?

What brand / type of plugs and wires did you use? Hopefully the stock replacement parts?

I am thinking a vac leak at the intake gaskets (either upper or lower) on #4 causing a lean missfire, but the leak isnt bad enough to set a lean code for the whole bank, but check compression first to rule out base engine problems.

If the CEL was on with a bad missfire on #4 for a while (thats why light was flashing), the raw gas it dumped into the exhaust killed the bank 2 (radiator side) cat converter, hence the 430 cat efficiency code. The converter will need to be replaced after you get rid of the #4 missfire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, I took it in and the shop said coil pack 4 and 5 were bad and I ordered two and had them install them, 350 vs 700 dollars, that was a month and a half ago, the missing of the engine dimished but wasn't gone, the mech put a note on the bill that there was a slight evap leak he cleared error code. It came back during a 300 mile trip the day I picked it up...check engine light that is, I got steadily worse till this week when it went to exactly the same symtoms as originally noted, missing and flashing check engine light on acceleration. I took it back and he found the evap hose going to the fuel filler compartment had a cracked snap-on hose clamp, now he's saying I can't get just the evap tank/hose without the whole assembly...$250 from ford. He told me to look for a used one and he would also..... Not an easy task. do you know of any sources for individual parts of the evap system components located under the passenger rear fender behind wheels and below filler compartment?
Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
...do you know of any sources for individual parts of the evap system components located under the passenger rear fender behind wheels and below filler compartment?
Let me know, thanks.
Junkyard/ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts