Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help....I have a bizarre issue: Although I place my gas cap on properly (hearing the click), my gas gauge goes nuts at times; goes to full, then to empty. Then, of course, the Check Engine light comes on and takes 6 days to go off. I've tried not "topping off", different starting position of the gas cap, different fuel (FFV vehicle) to no avail.

I've thought about replacing the gas cap, but it appears to be in perfect condition.

Might anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I know on the earlier Taurus models the gas guages were just plain crappy. Is this at all times, or like when you are turning or stopping or accelerating?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Sep 24 2004, 10:52 AM
I know on the earlier Taurus models the gas guages were just plain crappy. Is this at all times, or like when you are turning or stopping or accelerating?
Not at all times; and not when turning either. It's baffling.....I'll be driving normal highway speed then it'll slowly move from full to empty and stay there. There are times it'll be on empty when I start up and stay there 15-25 min. Then there are times it'll be on full for 10 or so min on startup (when I know it's 3/4 full) and go to empty. It's like it's losing pressure.....

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Sep 24 2004, 11:10 AM
A couple of months ago I saw a story on the news about U.S. gas having a really high sulfur content, and it was screwing up people's gas guages. Shell seemed to be one of the worst gas stations.
Yeah, thought of that too. I had been using QT gas, regular unleaded, then switched to E85 (FFV vehicle) thinking it might me that too. Not only did my MPG go from 27 to 21.9 but same problem.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by jwells+Sep 24 2004, 02:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jwells @ Sep 24 2004, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk@Sep 24 2004, 11:10 AM
A couple of months ago I saw a story on the news about U.S. gas having a really high sulfur content, and it was screwing up people's gas guages.  Shell seemed to be one of the worst gas stations.
Yeah, thought of that too. I had been using QT gas, regular unleaded, then switched to E85 (FFV vehicle) thinking it might me that too. Not only did my MPG go from 27 to 21.9 but same problem. [/b][/quote]
Where do you live? Around where I am we have NO options for alternative fuels besides diesel.

If I let my gas run low, around empty, the guage will suddenly go to full, it'll stay there till I steer the car right to left a few times real fast to shake up the gas. I'd guess it has something to do with the sending unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the same thing happens to me still does i have a 2001 ses. i actually took it to my mechanic and its the fuel module inside the take. it shorted out. well it was very expensive to fix like 600 for a 100 part since the have to drop the tank. anyways all i did is everytime i get gas i do a mileage check. i hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by wittsgen4@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM
the same thing happens to me still does i have a 2001 ses. i actually took it to my mechanic and its the fuel module inside the take. it shorted out. well it was very expensive to fix like 600 for a 100 part since the have to drop the tank. anyways all i did is everytime i get gas i do a mileage check. i hope this helps
hmmmmm.....2001 SES? Same here. Just makes me wonder though if it'll harm the engine?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 93 Sable+Sep 24 2004, 09:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (93 Sable @ Sep 24 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 02:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@Sep 24 2004, 11:10 AM
A couple of months ago I saw a story on the news about U.S. gas having a really high sulfur content, and it was screwing up people's gas guages.  Shell seemed to be one of the worst gas stations.

Yeah, thought of that too. I had been using QT gas, regular unleaded, then switched to E85 (FFV vehicle) thinking it might me that too. Not only did my MPG go from 27 to 21.9 but same problem.
Where do you live? Around where I am we have NO options for alternative fuels besides diesel.

If I let my gas run low, around empty, the guage will suddenly go to full, it'll stay there till I steer the car right to left a few times real fast to shake up the gas. I'd guess it has something to do with the sending unit. [/b][/quote]
I'm in Kansas City, MO. There are only 2 stations that sell E85 Ethenol in the greater Kansas City area. Supposed to be cleaner burning....just mileage drops considerably, which offsets the price break ($1.63/gal vs $1.72/gal for Unleaded).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by wittsgen4@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM
For wittsgen4 :notworthy:

Excellent diagnosis! It was the fuel pump as well as the Flex-Fuel Module. The module was $33, fuel pump $255, with installation it totaled $561. Fortunately for me, I bought the extended warranty.

According to the Ford dealership this is a known issue for Flex-Fuel Vehicles as there is a Tech Service Bulletin on it - no recall, just a TSB.

Installation takes about 3 hours since, as you said they have to drop the tank.

Thanks again!!! :D

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by jwells+Sep 29 2004, 01:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jwells @ Sep 29 2004, 01:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wittsgen4@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM

Excellent diagnosis! It was the fuel pump as well as the Flex-Fuel Module. The module was $33, fuel pump $255, with installation it totaled $561. Fortunately for me, I bought the extended warranty.

According to the Ford dealership this is a known issue for Flex-Fuel Vehicles as there is a Tech Service Bulletin on it - no recall, just a TSB.

John [/b][/quote]
I had this same problem too, but I only needed to replace the fuel level sensor. It only cost $71 at my local dealership. Where you guys located to be getting such high prices?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by taurus2000+Sep 29 2004, 02:17 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (taurus2000 @ Sep 29 2004, 02:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 01:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-wittsgen4
@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM

John
I had this same problem too, but I only needed to replace the fuel level sensor. It only cost $71 at my local dealership. Where you guys located to be getting such high prices? [/b][/quote]
taurus2000:

Perhaps your Taurus isn't a FFV (Flex Fuel Vehicle - meaning it uses Ethanol - E85 as well as unleaded gasoline)? I'm actually located in Kansas City MO. The dealer determined it was the pump and FFV module.

-John

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by jwells+Sep 29 2004, 01:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jwells @ Sep 29 2004, 01:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wittsgen4@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM

John [/b][/quote]
I had the same problem, same things replaced on my 2000SE. I have a friend with an 01 SES that had the problem too. :angry:

·
Registered
135 Posts
this is a unique problem related to the FFV cars, actually i don't beleive they
had to replace fuel pump,the FFV relay module sits right behind the radio dial
in the dash-upper left side(in my 98 taurus) just pop the dash radio out,
screw one out and the other in. you don't have to take the whole dash
apart like we did, the part was $30 and labor about 1/2 hr, if you know where
to look. do you ever run it on ethonal? can you mix the gas & eth?
dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by healthcoach dave@Sep 29 2004, 10:09 PM
this is a unique problem related to the FFV cars, actually i don't beleive they
had to replace fuel pump,the FFV relay module sits right behind the radio dial
in the dash-upper left side(in my 98 taurus) just pop the dash radio out,
screw one out and the other in. you don't have to take the whole dash
apart like we did, the part was $30 and labor about 1/2 hr, if you know where
to look. do you ever run it on ethonal? can you mix the gas & eth?
dave
healthcoach dave:

Actually, I have run it on Ethanol. Runs very good this way, but the gas mileage goes way down. For me, I went from 27mpg to 23mpg or less. And yes you can mix unleaded gas & Ethanol. Of course, you have to just make absolutely sure the vehicle is FFV (typically, they have a small "Green Leaf" on the front fender or say "Ethanol or Unleaded Fuel" on the inside of the fuel door), otherwise E85 in an unleaded only car is not good. For my area, E85 is $1.65/gal compared with $1.79/gal for unleaded and I'm in Kansas City, MO.

-John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same fuel gauge problem on my 2000 SE FFV at ~30k. In my case, the dealer replaced the fuel "module" at first time, but the problem was back one week late, it was found there was a open circuit some where behind the radio ( one of connector was not pluged tight enough and got loss), now it has 47K on the clock, the problem never be back again. but I do notice the first quart on the gauge go faster, and the fuel empty light come on when ~12 to 13 gal gas is used (there is still 3 to 4 gal left). the gauge reading varied a little while driving on and down a hill.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by jwells+Sep 29 2004, 02:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jwells @ Sep 29 2004, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 01:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-wittsgen4
@Sep 26 2004, 08:25 AM

John

I had this same problem too, but I only needed to replace the fuel level sensor. It only cost $71 at my local dealership. Where you guys located to be getting such high prices?
taurus2000:

Perhaps your Taurus isn't a FFV (Flex Fuel Vehicle - meaning it uses Ethanol - E85 as well as unleaded gasoline)? I'm actually located in Kansas City MO. The dealer determined it was the pump and FFV module.

-John [/b][/quote]
It's an FFV Taurus...little green leaf and all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts