Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 taurus L, 3liter v6.

Rad fluid is mostly water with a lil stop leak left in it right now so I want to drain all that **** out and fill it back up with 50/50, but I have a few questions first.

1. Where is the drain plug located on the rad and what direction to unscrew the plug....clockwise or counter clockwise?

2. Should I replace the thermostat as well?

3. Anything I should know before I get to work on the car tomorrow?

I know it's a fairly simple procedure, but it's my first time doing this so I would rather look like an idiot to people here and get the job done properly then look like an idiot under my car;)

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
Drain plug is on rad. bottom, dr. side. You have to remove blk. plastic splash guard (air dam) to access it. 19mm or 3/4in. socket or wrench will loosen it counterclockwise. Tighten hand-tight only as it is wht. plastic and will break off if you are overzealous with a wrench then you will be using an allen wrench to open and close it. A lot of people on here disconnect lower rad. hose @ the junction on the pass. side. Thermostat is your call? Also, if you have had stop-leak in the system, after draining and flushing with some h2o might consider some chem. clnr. or flush to tidy things up. Good luck. Just noticed you have a 92, so you may have a metal petcock? Also might search for the clinton heater flush.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The above is all good advice. I make it a personal policy to replace the thermostat whenever I have to open and drain a cooling system. Thermostats are a low price part and well worth the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Also, when you make your 50/50 mixture, do not use tap water. If you don't have access to RO or distilled water to make your mix, then just buy the premixed stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts