Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Tauraus SE, what are some mods I can do to pick up a little speed. I'm not looking to spend much, but i don't feel safe merging here and there. SO what are some cheap mods i can do?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
intake silencer removal....free, almost no performance gain, but it's easier to make people think you're driving faster by the better sound! ;D

torque strap...cheap, gains a little bit on take off?

EDIT:
like most things, you're going to pay for what you want

·
Registered
249 Posts
Easy/cheap mods=no real power gain. You can try a K&N panel filter, but its not going to give you much hp, if any.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by smc540@Aug 28 2004, 03:03 PM
Easy/cheap mods=no real power gain. You can try a K&N panel filter, but its not going to give you much hp, if any.
Would a cone K&N flter mounted as a CAI make a difference in sound and hp?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i have a 99 SE, i wonder what type of 6 cyl motor i have.

So if that intake won't do anything, is there any mods i can do?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
what do you consider cheap? You could always get a computer...

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
what do you consider cheap? You could always get a computer...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Take out the inline muffler(resonator) and change stock muffler to a performance muffler for a few extra horsepower(5-10hp approx). Your exhaust will also sound a lot better. Use a K & N cone filter. It will give around 2-3 hp increase.Buy a performace chip(3-9hp aprox). These are about the cheapest you can do.

G

·
Before you mod anything, you should install a transmission cooler. Do a search on this and you're bound to come up with more info than you'll ever need to know on them.

Honestly, the best bang for the buck mod I ever did was having my PCM reprogrammed by American Motorsport . It's around $300 depending on what you want, but there's not many $50 mods that are going to cause a noticable increase in power.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Removal of the resonator is not going to give you ANY performance increase. The resonator is nothing more than a larger diameter pipe welded in, with a relatively precise length to make the exhaust pitch correct. By removing it and putting a muffler in it's place, you're only further restricting the exhaust gases. Bad idea!

JR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts