Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed for my first apartment last night. Finally moving out of the house.

I got a 848 Sq Ft one bed w/ den. It's a bottom floor appartment in a good area. It has a wood burning fireplace and a sliding door onto a small patio I can grill on. There's a gally style kitchen with a breakfast bar. I'll be able to see the TV (well, in fact, my projector) on the wall in the living room. The dinging area is small at only 9' X 9', but it's better then not having one at all. The bedroom is 11 X 13 and has a walk in closet. The bathroom isn't too small either.

The kicker is the price. This little beauty is on special for $1019 / month! Ouch! I'm going ot have to budget much more then I have been to pull this off. Saving any money at all is going to be very hard for a while. but this is a real treat to finally be able to get away from the family whenever I need to.

I'll me taking pictures and/or video soon to share. I'm so excited!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Congratulations Dan, I remember what it felt like when I moved out the 1st time.....freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see some pics of the area where you're at when you get settled.

party at Dan's apt. 6-05-2004 be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump_with_joy:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Congrats...

I think I'm going to be graduating next June ('05) and I'm going to look into buying a condo. I'm looking in the 140-160K range, and with the values around here what they are, I can probably get like a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, with a den, dining room, garage, and living room for about that. I really can't wait. I told my girlfriend that as soon as I graduate and get the mortgage and all my furniture and stuff, we're going on vacation somewhere. I just can't wait to graduate. College is a pain in the a$$!!!

Hope the new apartment goes well...what town is it in?

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jun 2 2004, 09:44 AM
congrats! but why didn't you buy a house for that price? our house was $100,000 and we pay $915 a month.

but congrats! its always nice to get your own place!
I wish I could get another house. Unfortunately my ex-wife didn't hold up her end of the bargain. She was too lazy to get off her a$$ and get a job, I was 650 miles away paying $1400 a month for the place I was in (got stuck with that lease because she was supposed to move with me). Ad in all of my bills and sending her money to support my daughter ($600 a month). She wasn't paying the mortgage so it got foreclosed on. Along with all of the money she stole from me (about $30,000) and paying lawyers and travel I am stuck with apartments/townhouses for now. The rest of the story is looooooong, but you all don't want to hear it.

Congrats on the new place dant! Keep on those landlords if things are broken or not what you think they should be. Don't be afraid to be overly pushy to get it done. That's why you're paying them $1019 a month!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie+Jun 2 2004, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NateNBeckie @ Jun 2 2004, 10:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver@Jun 2 2004, 09:44 AM
congrats! but why didn't you buy a house for that price? our house was $100,000 and we pay $915 a month.

but congrats! its always nice to get your own place!
I wish I could get another house. Unfortunately my ex-wife didn't hold up her end of the bargain. She was too lazy to get off her a$$ and get a job, I was 650 miles away paying $1400 a month for the place I was in (got stuck with that lease because she was supposed to move with me). Ad in all of my bills and sending her money to support my daughter ($600 a month). She wasn't paying the mortgage so it got foreclosed on. Along with all of the money she stole from me (about $30,000) and paying lawyers and travel I am stuck with apartments/townhouses for now. The rest of the story is looooooong, but you all don't want to hear it.

Congrats on the new place dant! Keep on those landlords if things are broken or not what you think they should be. Don't be afraid to be overly pushy to get it done. That's why you're paying them $1019 a month! [/b][/quote]
Sorry to hear about all that NateNBeckie...I'm assuming you're Nate...who's Becky?

And I'm not sure if there's a story behind it, and you don't have to post here or at all, but if your ex was not paying the mortgage and stuff, why didn't you fight for custody of your daughter???

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I just moved into my first apartment two weeks ago. I lived in the dorms for a year, and I did the fraternity thing for two years. I'm now enjoying the apartment very much. 4 beds, 4 baths, carport, only two years old, pretty nice. At $340/mo its pretty affordable for college living too, compared to the $700/mo I was spending to live in the frat house.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 2 2004, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear about all that NateNBeckie...I'm assuming you're Nate...who's Becky?

And I'm not sure if there's a story behind it, and you don't have to post here or at all, but if your ex was not paying the mortgage and stuff, why didn't you fight for custody of your daughter???

JR
Sorry to hijack the thread. I will make this as short as possible.

Beckie is my current wife (not the reason for my first divorce. I met her after my divorce was final). I now have a new family with her with a 16 month old and another on the way. Life would be great if not for the ex.

To make the long story short, Michigan doesn't care if she is so lazy she can't support herself and the child. She is the mother of the child and the only way I could get custody is if she was strung out on crack, smoking weed, living in a box, and eating rats off the street. I had a hard enough time just getting proper visitation rights. I tried everything. Michigan just sucks when it comes to these things (as are most other states).

Here's and example. The courts threw out the case I had against her because she forged my name on my Federal Tax check. The Feds didn't even care.

Holy crap golovko. 4 beds, 4 baths? NICE!!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie+Jun 2 2004, 10:31 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NateNBeckie @ Jun 2 2004, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Jun 2 2004, 10:15 AM

JR
Sorry to hijack the thread. I will make this as short as possible.

Beckie is my current wife (not the reason for my first divorce. I met her after my divorce was final). I now have a new family with her with a 16 month old and another on the way. Life would be great if not for the ex.

To make the long story short, Michigan doesn't care if she is so lazy she can't support herself and the child. She is the mother of the child and the only way I could get custody is if she was strung out on crack, smoking weed, living in a box, and eating rats off the street. I had a hard enough time just getting proper visitation rights. I tried everything. Michigan just sucks when it comes to these things (as are most other states).

Here's and example. The courts threw out the case I had against her because she forged my name on my Federal Tax check. The Feds didn't even care.

Holy crap golovko. 4 beds, 4 baths? NICE!! [/b][/quote]
That's terrible, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm the product of a very messy divorce, but I was relatively young when it happened. I hate to see it when something like this happens, because as a result of one person's foolishness (your ex's in this case), your daughter will suffer in the long run.

I don't know anything about MI divorce laws, but this is one reason that divorce laws need to be rewritten so that they do not automatically fault the husband and give all rights to the mother. In many cases that is SOOOOO wrong and should be illegal. I can't stand that crap. In my case, I think I would have been much better off if I had lived with my father and step-mother, not because of the way I was raised or that I was beaten or anything, but my mother and step-father never really taught me the things I needed to know. I had to learn them on my own, and I never really got any guidance from them. I never learned the value of a dollar until I was like 17. I don't mean to blame everything on them, but once I broke out of their influences, I became the person that I am today...

I'm glad to hear, though, that your new family is doing well. It sounds like you probably have your hands full with a 16 month old and another coming. I can't wait until my gf and I have kids (in like 6 years...I'm only 21). I think it will be amazing...

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 2 2004, 10:31 AM
Holy crap golovko. 4 beds, 4 baths? NICE!!
Lol, sorry. It's actually $325 pp and there are 4 of us living there. The carport adds $15/mo. I wish I had my own 4 bedroom place for $340/mo, that'd be awesome :banana:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Back to the topic, the whole idea of apartments have never really sat well with me. The way I look at it, you're paying $1k a month yet will have nothing to show for it if you ever move out. I think it's better to stay with the 'rents and save up enough money for a down payment on a house. You'll still be paying that $1k a month but you'll at least have something to show for it since the house will be yours. I understand though that not everyone is on a good standing with their parents so it's not possible for them but that's just my 2¢.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I completely agree about apartments being a waste of money. You spend all of that money and have nothing to show. Unfortunatly, some things are out of our control.

Golovko, you had me almost crying there for a minute! :lol2: Now that we know there's 4 ppl there, it's understandable. I would love to have a 4 bed/4 bath for my fam.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 2 2004, 10:52 AM
I completely agree about apartments being a waste of money. You spend all of that money and have nothing to show. Unfortunatly, some things are out of our control.
I agree, they are a waste. I've know a few students here at Purdue whose parents have bought a house for them while at school and then sold it when they graduated....good idea IMO if you have that kind of cash to throw down.

Golovko, you had me almost crying there for a minute!  :lol2:    Now that we know there's 4 ppl there, it's understandable.  I would love to have a 4 bed/4 bath for my fam.
And believe it or not, this apartment was actually one of the better deals around. I know people that live in 4 bedroom places paying $550/mo!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*grabs thread back*

ANYWAY... :lol:

It's in Columbia, MD which is really high housing costs.

I looked at houses last years. You get like a 2 bed 1.5 bath Condo or trashy town house here in the less then best neighborhoods for $150K. I didn't have much of a down payment and I knew I wouldn't be staying very long in a place like that. After debating it in my head, the apartment just made more sence. Less things for me to worry about as the majority of the maintenance is the property management's responsability. It's in a good area and I know if I can afford this now, I can afford a similar mortgage later. Remember, if you buy a house, you pay not just the mortgage, but property tax, insurrance, upkeep, etc. I think this is a good way to start off in a not-so-perminent place. Around here the average income is pretty high and being located less then 40 miles from DC and baltimore, it is a prime housing area. If I made under 30K/ yr I guess I'd quality for subsidized housing or something, but if you're making that little in this area, you have other problems.

I have class tonight so I don't know how soon I'll be able to really start "moving in". I had hoped to move some small stuff tonight and tomorrow night and start moving bigger stuff friday night and this weekend. We'll see.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Apartments take care of maintenance issues for you, and you usually get a pool and a weight room. Apartments aren't always bad. I happen to like mine quite a bit. When my range stopped working, I called the complex up, and voila! New range in two days. I didn't pay a cent.

Now what would have happened if I was in a house, especially a slightly older one (That's all I would be able to afford if you know house prices around Austin)?

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
:eek: Housing does suck there... 135k will build you a brand new 3500 sq ft house here (except the obviously very rich areas). I have only lived in an apt for 14 months in my life, and that was while waiting on my house to be built. I much prefer having my own house. But at least you are getting out on your own :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Jun 2 2004, 11:54 AM
Apartments take care of maintenance issues for you, and you usually get a pool and a weight room. Apartments aren't always bad. I happen to like mine quite a bit. When my range stopped working, I called the complex up, and voila! New range in two days. I didn't pay a cent.

Now what would have happened if I was in a house, especially a slightly older one (That's all I would be able to afford if you know house prices around Austin)?
I enjoyed living in an apt for the 4-5 years for the above reasons. But i got restless and wanted to get a house for financial and hobby (home repair/remodeling) reason. It only took about a year before i was wishing i had that maintenance man back so i didn't have to fix every little problem around the house all the time. <_<

Enjoy it while it lasts and congrats on the new apt.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+Jun 2 2004, 02:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ Jun 2 2004, 02:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Majisto@Jun 2 2004, 11:54 AM
Apartments take care of maintenance issues for you, and you usually get a pool and a weight room.  Apartments aren't always bad.  I happen to like mine quite a bit.  When my range stopped working, I called the complex up, and voila!  New range in two days.  I didn't pay a cent.

I enjoyed living in an apt for the 4-5 years for the above reasons. But i got restless and wanted to get a house for financial and hobby (home repair/remodeling) reason. It only took about a year before i was wishing i had that maintenance man back so i didn't have to fix every little problem around the house all the time. <_<

Enjoy it while it lasts and congrats on the new apt. [/b][/quote]
One of the reasons I built a house... everything is brand new :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space@Jun 2 2004, 02:48 PM
One of the reasons I built a house... everything is brand new :)
And that is exactly what i plan to do about 5 years from now. They are expanding the streets in my subdivision over the course of the next 2-3 years (really long and commonly traveled road) and because of that i don't want to try and sell the house until the projects are over with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts