Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My question is can someone post pictures of the holes? I got a 01 with floor shift and DOHC engine. I think I found the hole near the strut tower but I tore away insolation under my dash and near the break petal and booster but cant find the hole near it.
I would be very greatful if a picture or 2 could be posted to help me, if not think I will just wire it under my car and into my engine block to the battery.

Also another question, what wire would be a good remote wire? I read the red and yellow is a good one but it doesn't work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
12.) Now your saying what about the remote turn-on for the amp ?? well I have an answer for you and it's
In the trunk ! if you look in the trunk and on the left side where the RCU is on the left wall nearest the RCU there will be a Gray 3 pin connector
Use the Black/Pink Wire and run it straight to your "REM+" Section of your amplifier!

13.) Wheres the best place to ground ? I used the Ground beside the RCU and it worked Just fine !

There you go guys Let me know if you need Me to make any changes or anything !

great write up thanks.. but post a pic of what you are talking about?? not sure if I've seen that..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My question is can someone post pictures of the holes? I got a 01 with floor shift and DOHC engine. I think I found the hole near the strut tower but I tore away insolation under my dash and near the break petal and booster but cant find the hole near it.

[\quote]

Just insert a sharp object in there and see where it pop up in the cabin. I personally chose to run power cable on the passenger side. There is a hole that runs from the engine bay into the right wheel well, and another one going from wheel well into the cabin, but some tricky routing is necessary before the wire is visible from the cabin.

Also another question, what wire would be a good remote wire? I read the red and yellow is a good one but it doesn't work.
Is that the wire for remote turn on? I think it's either blue or blue and white.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 2007 Taurus with a column shift and the center hole directly behind the engine is the only one I have been able to locate so far. I'll keep searching for the others but I wonder if anyone has had any problems with damage to the power cable caused by the heat from the exhaust manifold/engine when using this hole?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
No problems yet since the install (10,000 miles since I installed it) , BTW I will post pictures of the connector you guys need to tap into for AMP power as soon as I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have an 2007 Taurus with a column shift and the center hole directly behind the engine is the only one I have been able to locate so far. I'll keep searching for the others but I wonder if anyone has had any problems with damage to the power cable caused by the heat from the exhaust manifold/engine when using this hole?
I don't see a problem with that. In my car I run the power cable even farther, from the battery into the left fender. It goes right past the area where the center hole is (in my car, it's occupied by the transmission shift cable). Just don't run the cable on top of the engine. Run it around engine parts. Fasten it to other cables or wires, if necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The pics and instructions were right on. Saved me a bunch of time drilling. Looked for a hole for over 2 hours bfore I read this post. Stuck my finger down there and there she was! Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a hole in the firewall right under the VIN tag (on Gen3, and I believe the same hole is available on Gen4), and it is easily accessible and not so complicated for use, than the method described above, except you will need to remove the wheel's splash shield under the left front fender to gain access for it. I used it to install wires for front fog lamps. Note that my method allows not to run wires near the rear exhaust manifold, where extreme temperatures take place, so it is also a safer way to put extra wires through the firewall. And I believe that it is applicable for cars with both types of shifters (floor/column). I will post some pics later.
I mentioned it long ago, well, here the pics. It is under left fender of gen3, where bunch of wires goes inside. At least you will be sure that the wire is not near hot cat.converter/ behind hot engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hello Sal, you may want to ask in the right section of the forums this is for 86-07 Taurii :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
More pics:

Hey all, just found the hole after some looking, and thought I'd add a couple pictures for anyone else who is having any difficulty finding it.
A picture's worth a thousand words!

I've got a 2002 Taurus SE (Wagon), with the column shifter, and the Duratec engine (makes it a lot harder). This model doesn't appear to have any holes near the brake or the driver-side strut tower, or under the passenger-side glove compartment (or if they're there, they're really hard to find). However, it does have the low center hole that people have been talking about, so I figured I'd shine a light through it and take some pics to make it easier for people to see where it comes out into the engine compartment.

I tried to poke a hole in the grommet with a screwdriver, and just ended up pushing it out. Best to take it out and cut or poke it with something sharp, then put it back (or if you like, cut it while it's still in, and then you don't have to deal with getting it back in :)). Use a wire hanger or something similar to pull your wire through.

Hope this helps!

Note, as mentioned earlier, to be careful of the RCM (restraints control module) that is located just in front of this hole (under the hump), and houses the airbag deployment sensors! Always remove your negative battery lead.

Coming in from the front passenger door, looking at the center of the firewall:

Closer:

and closer:

And CLOSER:

CLOSER:

Closest:

These pics are looking into the engine compartment, behind the engine, from the driver's side (near the air intake).
I shone a light through the hole, so you can get an idea of where it comes out behind the engine:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice! - Same location as mine (Just on the passenger side)

Troy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found it but it is where the shifter cable goes through. The rubber seem pretty thick and not movable. I also tried to look for the drivers side on and there is so much stuff in there, I can't tell what is what.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have a wire run from the passenger compartment to the front of the car on both sides using the grommet that is by the front door hinges. I then run the wire over the fender liner in wire loom. The grommet can be pried out to drill the hole for the loom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
old thread but... there is suppose to be a grommet in said hole behind the steering column right? I was wiring my fog lights and saw light straight through this hole. There is nothing there to keep the elements out.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.