Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
An easy way to find the hole, is to put the car outside in daylight and pop the hood. The stick your head under the dash and look for daylight to come through. This is how I found my hole, before I even knew it was there. I was looking for a suitable place to run my amp wire when I accidently came across that hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Without the info I'd still be lookin for a hole. I have a 2004 taurus and found the hole between the shock tower and brake booster to work the best, a bunch of wire loom and thick electrical tape to keep it from rubbin and I'm in business. It was a pain to find an area at first to tap into the trunk but I got it. Now I just have to get a distribution box and cut that 6x9 hole in the rear deck a bit to get a 10" JL to fit in there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I finally found the grommet hole on my 3rd gen Floor Shifter! All I did was put it in the garage, turn the shop light on it, and looked up above my fuse box till I saw light. Then I poked a clothes hanger through, and hooked my wire onto the end of it. No more running my amp wire through the door/hood option!

·
Banned
90 Posts
I have something bigger than whats been asked so far, i have 2, yes 2, runs of 0 gauge cable going to my amp, and i need to find a hole that fits, i looked at ryne's hole and it looked like one could go on either side of the wire entering the grommet. if not, i saw a carpet replacement online and there was a large enough grommet right where my amp will be going in the backseat. if anyone can lead me to a large grommet in the firewall, it would save me the trouble of running the wires under the car, which can be somewhat worse imo. i would just feel better if they were in the car away from underbody harm.

i also looked under the carpet near the middle under the dash and cut away some sound deadening but couldnt feel a grommet around there, even when i reached around under there.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If you have a '96-'00 then look for the hole that the cable runs through for the shifter you DON'T have. If you have a column shifter then look where the floor shifter cable comes out and vise versa.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so i have a 1997 ford taurus with coemom shift and i can not find any of the holes listed on here iv looked by both strut towers and i just cant find any of the holes if anyone can help it would be great

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Me and a friend were wiring up my subs/amps, it took a while but we finally found the hole by the drivers side fusebox. We ran a hanger through it and it came out on the engineside, I think it goes through the place for all the column shift wires. The car is a 1999 column shift, and i was able to stick a length of 4 gauge wire through it. Thought this might help someone out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Woohoo! Got my 4 gauge through the shock tower hole no problem. I went from the inside out with the coathanger and then from the outside in with the wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, so here's a quick picture guide to finding a hole in the firewall on an automatic Generation 2 (specifically, 1994) Taurus Wagon GL:

So first of all, this is my car. Her name is Shenanigans.

A'ight, so crawl down under the steering wheel and what you're looking for is the circle of insulation I've circled in yellow there. You can see that it'll be up and to the left of the brake. And no, once I'm done installing some subs the cable will not be duct-taped to floor, that is just a temp solution until the amplifier comes in the mail.

Here's a better photo of it.

Here you can plainly see the rubber grommet that will be visible once you pull off the circle of insulation. Now here's where you'll want to be a bit careful: I tried poking a hole in the grommet with a screwdriver. Horrible idea. As I found out a slight bit later, that thing is about half a centimeter thick in the center. I ended up popping the grommet out, and I had to have my little brother crawl underneath the car and reach around to the back side of the strut tower to get it out where it fell in the engine compartment. I ended up cutting an X in it with a razor blade, sticking my power cable through it and using a straightened wire coat hanger to stick the cable into the hole and used needle-nose pliers to pull the grommet back into place. Not fun.

So basically, where that leads into the engine compartment is 3/4 of a foot straight down where the yellow circle is. Best way to see it is stick your face there, up against the hood, with a flashlight next to your left ear. You'll likely just make it out. Again, here is where using the wire coat hanger will come in handy getting something down there. I'll try to get a bit closer with the next few pics using the tubing circled in blue and green as landmarks, but it is really hard to show where it goes without just taking a look yourself.

If you want to see bigger versions of these images, here's a link to the Flickr album.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/...57620250324586/

But yeah, my power cable is just all bunched up there with electrical tape on the end of it until I get the amplifier in the mail so I can do the install, just in case someone was wondering.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've Noticed Nobody has said anything about the Airbag Module located in front of the lower Center Hole (on the center hump nearest the firewall) in the gen 3/4

I recommend that you disconnect the battery (JUST IN CASE) if you hit that box with ANY force even with the Key OUT It can Still Blow The Air Bags off !!

I'll be posting pictures On this thread tomorrow....

Maybe I'll do a How-To that's got complete pictures for the 3/4 Gen Taurus ?

Troy. ;)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ok, As Promised this is the steps I took to run My power Wire; (2000 SE Sedan With Column Shift)

I used 4 guage wire on my install (You never know when you might upgrade so I ran a bigger gauge than I needed)

1.) Disconnect the Battery (your going to need to do that anyway to hook into your battery)
2.) Remove the running boards on BOTH sides - Pull on the door jamb side of the running boards or you can and
probably will break them.

3.) Pull Back the carpet and fold it over the front seat (It's Difficult but do it anyway) The reason I say to
pull back the carpet on both sides is that if you don't you can rip the carpet in the middle.

4.)To the RIGHT of the gas pedal you should see a shiny metal box with wires coming out of it, that is your Airbag
G-Sensor DO not hit it with anything (this is why you disconnected the battery (RIGHT? :blink: )
BETWEEN that box and the firewall directly in the center you will find the Grommet you are looking for.
You can either stab it with a tool (Like the one Pictured) or pull it out using your bare hands (the tool is Easier)
The reason we are pulling this out is to cut an "X" in the middle of the grommet.

Theres the little bugger!!

5.) Cut an "X" In the center of the grommet I used a Utility knife BE careful the rubber cuts VERY Easily.

6.)Run the Wire through the "X" that you cut in the Grommet and push enough wire through it so you can reach the
battery after you shove it through the hole and put the grommet back on just the way it came off. PLEASE KEEP THE GROMMET
INSTALLED DON'T SIMPLY REMOVE IT, THE HOLE SITS VERY LOW SO IF YOU GO THROUGH WATER IT'S A GOOD POSSIBILITY
THAT YOUR FLOORING WILL GET WET ! So Please use the grommet as I have.

7.) Now if your like me I have Big arms and can't even reach the hole so I got a wire hanger and fished it up to the battery,
after you have the wire secure it to vacuum lines with zip-ties Like this or similar....
The reason we are securing it to Vacuum lines is that they really don't get hot and that's something you don't want to happen your
insulation may melt off creating a car fire which brings us to the next step......

8.) USE A FUSE OR BREAKER inline no further than 12 inches from the battery this will help you prevent your Taurus from catching
fire (god forbid!)

9.) Run the power wire down the DRIVERS SIDE kick panel You will need to pop the "B-Pillar" plastic off to accomplish this.....

10.) The Rear Seat is fun..... Pull on your seat from the back of the cushion towards the front (Away from the lumbar section) it should
come up just enough for you to run your wire under the rear seat and into the trunk.

11.) Ok that's it for the power wire, Hook the power wire into your amp and attach your wiring to the battery and add your fuse.

12.) Now your saying what about the remote turn-on for the amp ?? well I have an answer for you and it's
In the trunk ! if you look in the trunk and on the left side where the RCU is on the left wall nearest the RCU there will be a Gray 3 pin connector
Use the Black/Pink Wire and run it straight to your "REM+" Section of your amplifier!

13.) Wheres the best place to ground ? I used the Ground beside the RCU and it worked Just fine !

There you go guys Let me know if you need Me to make any changes or anything !

Troy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would Also Like to make a Suggestion can a Moderator clean up this section (it is Pinned which is cool) but it's cluttered with a lot of unneeded reading
for someone just looking for an answer. Just a Suggestion and THANKS GUYS ! I couldn't have done it without the information you guys provided me with!

Troy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a hole in the firewall right under the VIN tag (on Gen3, and I believe the same hole is available on Gen4), and it is easily accessible and not so complicated for use, than the method described above, except you will need to remove the wheel's splash shield under the left front fender to gain access for it. I used it to install wires for front fog lamps. Note that my method allows not to run wires near the rear exhaust manifold, where extreme temperatures take place, so it is also a safer way to put extra wires through the firewall. And I believe that it is applicable for cars with both types of shifters (floor/column). I will post some pics later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey first time poster; I have a 05 SE i'm needing to find the parking lights wireing switch and a hole in the firewall. I'm installing Polite Fog lights and the wiring harness is calling for me to hook into the parking lights wires can help thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hey first time poster; I have a 05 SE i'm needing to find the parking lights wireing switch and a hole in the firewall. I'm installing Polite Fog lights and the wiring harness is calling for me to hook into the parking lights wires can help thanks.
Just tap into the brown wire behind the turn signal at the front of the car. As for the hole in the firewall, you'll need to re-read this topic and find a location that works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just tap into the brown wire behind the turn signal at the front of the car. As for the hole in the firewall, you'll need to re-read this topic and find a location that works for you.

Thanks man but as i was waiting i managed to remove my parking lights, headlight switch by pulling it out of the dash and pluging my wire into the wiring harness into the brown wire socket and vala know it works when i turn on my parking lights.

But thanks for repling. Quick question thats not going to cause a problem in the future is it?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Thanks man but as i was waiting i managed to remove my parking lights, headlight switch by pulling it out of the dash and pluging my wire into the wiring harness into the brown wire socket and vala know it works when i turn on my parking lights.

But thanks for repling. Quick question thats not going to cause a problem in the future is it?
If you just shoved a wire into the back of the headlight switch and not properly securing it, it may slip out and short circuit.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.