Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I don't really have the time to read through every page of this topic to see if anybody asked this, but I just bought subs and an amp tonight and I plan on doing the install on Monday or Tuesday and I can't find a hole in the firewall. Does anybody know where to feed the power cable through on a 2002 Taurus SE sedan? If it's not possible I'm fully prepared to just drill a hole and put a grommet in. Some help would be appreciated, thanks.
[/b]
Do you have a column or floor shift? If you drill, you may hit something important.
[/b][/quote]

I have a column shift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
I don't really have the time to read through every page of this topic to see if anybody asked this, but I just bought subs and an amp tonight and I plan on doing the install on Monday or Tuesday and I can't find a hole in the firewall. Does anybody know where to feed the power cable through on a 2002 Taurus SE sedan? If it's not possible I'm fully prepared to just drill a hole and put a grommet in. Some help would be appreciated, thanks.
[/b]
Do you have a column or floor shift? If you drill, you may hit something important.
[/b][/quote]

I have a column shift.
[/b][/quote]

Then use the hole in the center of the firewall, below the dash, its right below the top edge of the carpet i believe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I have a column shift.
[/b][/quote]

Then use the hole in the center of the firewall, below the dash, its right below the top edge of the carpet i believe.
[/b][/quote]

I'll look for it, thank you so much! I'm doing the install tomorrow, I hope it all works out.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
I'll look for it, thank you so much! I'm doing the install tomorrow, I hope it all works out. [/b]
On the G4, the best way I can describe it is 2-3 inches above the fusebox

·
Registered
68 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I'll look for it, thank you so much! I'm doing the install tomorrow, I hope it all works out. [/b]
On the G4, the best way I can describe it is 2-3 inches above the fusebox
[/b][/quote]

I can't find anything... I've looked in both the places recommended, 2-3 inches above the fusebox, and just below the carpet line on the driver's side, nothing. The only rubber grommet on the firewall I've found with a wire passing through it is on the driver's side very high up near the leaf guard and it leads no where inside the car.

For anybody who is trying to help, please keep in mind that it is a 2002 Ford Taurus SE sedan with a column shifter that I am trying to do this to. I've looked on the passenger side and there's nothing to see on that side, you can't even look up past the glove box, that side is totally covered up. I went under the car to see what that view would give me and it wasn't any better. Unless somebody can give me a concrete answer as to where I should look and I've just totally over looked the obvious, my solution will be pulling back the carpet on the driver's side foot well and drilling a hole right next to where the steering linkage comes into the car. I saw from under the car that nothing would be in the way of a drill bit passing through. Just make the whole, put the wire through, test my system once it's all together and then fill the hole with some automotive sealer. I'm doing it tomorrow at around noon, I'm gonna pull the head unit first and get everything prepped and ready to go and I'll check back here again, I'm just really lost on this whole getting through the firewall, everything else should go just fine. I really appreciate this help guys, I'm just looking for that miracle answer so I don't have to perform minor surgery on my car. Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try pulling back the carpet (and sound deadener, and whatever else you find :p) in the CENTER of the car, under the dash. There is supposedly a hole down there. Or maybe towards the passenger side a ways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try pulling back the carpet (and sound deadener, and whatever else you find :p) in the CENTER of the car, under the dash. There is supposedly a hole down there. Or maybe towards the passenger side a ways.
[/b]
I went at it from the passenger side, pulled the carpet back, pulled the insulation back (I had to cut it a little bit to move it out of the way), stuck my hand up behind the dash dead center and I finally found that damn rubber grommet. I went and got a coat hanger and cut a long piece off, stabbed it through and found it coming through in engine compartment plain as day. Finished the install on my amp and subs and it sounds amazing, I'll be adding the mod to my garage and some pictures later on. Thanks for the help from everybody, especially Trent, thanks again!

·
Registered
177 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I went at it from the passenger side, pulled the carpet back, pulled the insulation back (I had to cut it a little bit to move it out of the way), stuck my hand up behind the dash dead center and I finally found that damn rubber grommet. I went and got a coat hanger and cut a long piece off, stabbed it through and found it coming through in engine compartment plain as day. Finished the install on my amp and subs and it sounds amazing, I'll be adding the mod to my garage and some pictures later on. Thanks for the help from everybody, especially Trent, thanks again!
[/b][/quote]

You're quite welcome; actually, I'm glad you gave such a detailed description of where to find it. I didn't actually know where it was, exactly...but I knew it was there. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
the best place on my gen 4 for the amp in the trunk in the floor where the e-brake cable comes through, lift up the carpet on the driver door side and you will see it, straight shot from there

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1995 Ford Taurus LX, that is a floor shift. I'm buying all my components for my sound system, and was wondering where I could find a hole in the firewall that a 4 gauge wire could fit through. Yes, I read the whole topic, and still don't know where to look. I am 16 years old and don't know a whole lot about engines. (Just enough to install my system.) Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have a 1995 Ford Taurus LX, that is a floor shift. I'm buying all my components for my sound system, and was wondering where I could find a hole in the firewall that a 4 gauge wire could fit through. Yes, I read the whole topic, and still don't know where to look. I am 16 years old and don't know a whole lot about engines. (Just enough to install my system.) Any help is appreciated!
[/b]
Look slightly to the left of where the brake pedal connects to the firewall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I have found that hole with only 1 wire coming out of it. Any idea where it leads on the other side of the firewall? How would I go about even putting wire through it? Do I just poke a hole through it? If so, with what? Sorry about all of the questions, it's just that I'm planning to install everything in 3 weeks and want to know everything about this.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Would the 2000 Column be the same as the 2002 .. I know 2000 some thigns carried over from Gen 3 but i cannot locate the one on the drivers side for the life of me... if its on the pass side like the newer ones then that won't be too hard to deal with and will work well with the console mod

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yes, it will be the same. The firewall holes are all alike on G3/4.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the best place on my gen 4 for the amp in the trunk in the floor where the e-brake cable comes through, lift up the carpet on the driver door side and you will see it, straight shot from there
[/b]
I believe i found it, almost right behind the ebrake, didnt even have to pull back the carpet, but when i started to stick the cord through, it stopped and it wouldnt let me push any more, where does it come out in the engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey, im new here.ive got a 1996 lx with the duratech.i need to know the best place to run the wires through the firewall.thanks for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just saw where to run it.i used the one behind the strut tower on the drivers side.but i have one question.im getting ready to put a aftermarket cd player in.im just wondering if the aftermarket install kits that they have at best buy will work.and how to install it.thank you for your help.

matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
no problem... if you're still having trouble let me know and I'll try to help you out more
[/b]

i have a 2005 ford taurus sel floor shift. I need some help in locating an entrace in the firewall to run my amp kit, but i cant seem to find any grommet in the firewall. Hit me back and let me know where to locate one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I ran 2 ga cables under the car and up into the trunk fender.

But here is another shot of the GEN 3 strut tower hole.
[/b]

That picture should help you. The hole is right by the brake booster and behind the strut. Hope it works well.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.