Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is there a hole already in the gen 2's that I can use? Keep in mind that I will be switching from column to console here in the next few months. So the hole that you guys are talking about would have to be for the shifter cable. I need to fit a 4 guage cable through for my amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
anyone know where the hole is on a gen 2 sable w/column shift?
i did a search but it seems like everyone's asking about gen 3 and above..
thanks
'
edit: whoops didn't see the above post.. but yeah any info appreciated...

·
Registered
933 Posts
I haven't seen any good pictures of the firewall hole behind the strut tower, so here are a couple of my car. hopefully this thread can include pictures of factory firewall holes in all generations.

follow the white wire that does past the strut tower in these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
in this picture, you can see the hole. there should be a gromet in there just like the one in the picture posted earlier, mine's missing because it popped out when I was running wires through, and I never took the time to get it back in.

by the way, the best way to get into this hole is to use a coathanger, push it through and downards, when you find it inside (near the fuse box) attach you wire with some electrical tape, and pull it back through.

hope this is helpful to someone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Taurus SES. If I post pictures of my firewall/underneath my steering column would someone be able to point out a hole? I need to run an amp wire through it :(

EDIT: I ended up drilling a hole through the firewall and got the wire through fine, then had to tie strap it to avoid any contact with the brake levers etc.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If it hasn't been established yet, the hole near the drivers side strut tower cannot be used on Gen 3's with column shift. You either have to use Ryne's hole or drill your own.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by freshV6power@May 30 2005, 07:35 PM
If it hasn't been established yet, the hole near the drivers side strut tower cannot be used on Gen 3's with column shift. You either have to use Ryne's hole or drill your own.
is that what that thing was? I guess that's what the hole is for. actually, you can use it. but it's not so easy. I was able to get a couple of #14 wires through that hole in the rubber area round the plastic plug where the shifter cable goes through. its possible, but not easy.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles+May 30 2005, 08:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mcgilles @ May 30 2005, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-freshV6power@May 30 2005, 07:35 PM
If it hasn't been established yet, the hole near the drivers side strut tower cannot be used on Gen 3's with column shift.  You either have to use Ryne's hole or drill your own.
is that what that thing was? I guess that's what the hole is for. actually, you can use it. but it's not so easy. I was able to get a couple of #14 wires through that hole in the rubber area round the plastic plug where the shifter cable goes through. its possible, but not easy. [/b][/quote]
I'm just going to play it safe with Ryne's hole :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I cannot find my cars hole to save my life...

I have a 1996 Duratec LX (with floor shift like 99.9% of them)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I finally found the one next to the brake booster...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ya'll need to stop abusing Ryne's hole, and hunt up an appropriate hole for a Gen 2 column to floor conversion... I'd prefer dead center, low, on the firewall....

Thanks....

*washing my hands compusively, afraid that I got too close to Ryne's hole*

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nope... but I've noticed that the tutorial isn't very clear on some things.

Edit: I had an opportunity to investigate in a '94 Sable LX, and there is a dead-centre low hole... directly behind the heating ducts for feet-heating.

I'm still puzzling on how to get my ductwork out without damaging anything.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.