Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an almost new set (4) of Firestone Affinity tires (215-60-16) already mounted and balanced on decent taurus rims, same style as I have now.

Thought I'd might pick em up as one of the tires (Michelin) on my wife's car is starting to dry rot. They want $115 plus mounting and balancing for a Michelin replacement. The dry rot tire is an 04 so they won't do anything about it.

Has anyone had these Firestone tires and if so, what do you think about them?? :)

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Personaly I have never had good luck with firestone tires. I never had any wear problems, but always issues with the quality of the tire. The last set of firestones I bought were the original firestone firehawks. I ended up getting 5 free replacment sets before I got rid of that vehicle. Heres what happened.
I bought a set of 4 for my areostar in March or April. Through the summer I always wash and take care of my cars so I know the condition of my tires. The next spring when I did the first good scrub of the tires, they were all cracked, almost like dry rot. I went back to the firestone store and the next thing you know I am getting a new set of firehawks installed for free. This happened every spring for the next 4 years, every spring they were putting on free firehawks due to the cracking of the rubber. They even tried turning this into something I did by saying the westleys bleach white was breaking down the rubber or even the tire dressing I used at the time. I called the maker of both items and had letters & reports from them that their products would not do that damage to the tires. The last year, firestone refused to install the firehawks, but gave me a lower milage rated tire saying I more than got my moneys worth from the original purchase. I drove on those tires for one year and then got rid of the van at that point while they still had good tread.
Crazy as it sounds, I have had good luck with bridgestones but never firestones. In your case, if the price is right for the 4 mounted tires and they look good, I would consider them, but keep a close eye on them too.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else ever have these tires?? :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hate and loathe Firestone tires. But I guess I am biased since I changed out thousands of them during the big recall of 2000-01

·
Registered
541 Posts
Firestone bad idea!!

Trust me, you dont want your car under Firestine's roof. There's no telling what they might do to it. Just look up their complaints online.:unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts