Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I have not been around in a while, I have had a Fire in my house. Started in the bathroom (electrical) and was contained to that area. Some other places got smoke damage, but we all made it out safe.

Go and check your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers right now. You NEVER think of them until you need them.

I will be on and off for the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Good luck man. Yeah a friend of mine/coworker's house burned down from an electrical spark after an outage and then power surge when it came back on. His entire house burned and was put out in an hour and a half and only about 1/2 a room and 2 walls survived. :eek: Good to hear it was small.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by JJ57@Jul 6 2004, 12:23 AM

Go and check your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers right now. You NEVER think of them until you need them.

Sorry to hear that.

Also, don't leave rechargeable batteries plugged in on the charger.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
JJ, sorry to hear about your fire but glad to hear no one was hurt and it was contained to that one room.

Yeah that was the first thing i did when i purchased my house was install an ADT monitored security & fire system with the heat and smoke detectors in all central places on each floor. Wasn't cheap but gives good piece of mind, and man do the fire trucks get there quick when it goes off (ex-roomate burnt something on the stove last winter) :lol2:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry to hear that... I hope it wasn't too bad, but smoke damage is the pits.

A friend of ours has a huge garage (1800 sq ft) separate from their house, fortunately, and lightning hit a power pole across the field from them. It caused a power surge which blew up the electrical box going into their garage and started a fire. Nobody knew it for quite a while because of the rain. They lost a new Chevy Suburban, a Diesel tractor, her work car and his Dodge Ram pickup, in addition to all the implements in the garage. VERY expensive fire... :(

Moral: Wouldn't hurt to even put a detector in your garage, especially if it's detached.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I wonder how much setting up a fire suppression system in your garage would cost. When you think about it, it can be one of the most expensive rooms in your house. And the most fire prone.

-Dan

·
Registered
292 Posts
heat detectors and basic sprinklers work well....and a extinguisher work well...but what do I know? :p

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
:eek: Glad you are ok :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Everyone, I just wanted to say that your words of inspiration and hope mean a lot right now.

There is one thing that I would like to add, go and get a PHOTOELECTRIC smoke detector.

Heat detectors are also a good option.

But there are 2 basic types of smoke detectors: ionazation and photoelectric. Ionazation detectors use ions (radioactive) to tell when a fire is in progress, a drop in current will trigger an alarm. These units usually respond faster to flaming/high heat fires like grease and what not, they do not respond very well to visible smoke fires.

Photoelectric units use a scattered light principal which responds very well to smoldering fires, or ones with a lot of visible smoke. These are the ones that start when you are asleep and can kill very quickly.

I had a dual sensor unit that I installed a few years ago.

There was a total of 4 smoke alarms in the house, only one went off, the dual sensor unit. I talked with the fire chief and fire inspectors, they agreed that if not for that Dual sensor unit, there would have been little to no warning because of the kind of fire.

Scarry, but true.

GO AND BUY ONE, THE BEST $25 I EVER SPENT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts