Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I almost burned my Sable to the ground.
I have bought an cheap USB charger (made in China) and using it to charge my phone. The thing is not made well, is shorter in length (between tip and ground) than an original Garmin charger (see below side-by-side), and sometimes it was shorting the internal tab in my Sable cigarette lighter. As an observation, newer cars don't have the same problems because different socket, since they are non-smoking cars.

Oh, well, I did short that socket several times, and I had to buy more fuses. Harbor Freight had a big box of them so I bought it and used one of their fuses.
Today, when I tried to plug in the same charger, I heard some noise and pull it out. In bottom of my cigarette lighter socket, a metallic tab was glowing red and then white! Smoke started to come copiously out from behind dash, and frantically I tried to pull the wire from the back of socket. Burned my finger instantly. Note the melted part on the charger tip - is from today.

Eventually the wire come off and smoke stopped.
I opened the fuse compartment to look for fuse #20 and I found it out melted completely, a big blob of plastic and metal - this is not how it should function. Pulled one side of it out to break the circuit (so I don't have any other surprises), half remained in for photo op (it doesn't look like it will come out):

Now, the speed gauge is not indicating nothing, radio is dead and wires under my dash look like this:

Is scary what a couple of cheap products can do.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I have the same charger which I use in my sable, windstar and freestar and have no issues with it, and still looks like the day it came out of the box........ :confused:

·
Administrator
14,932 Posts
I use 3 that look just like it so I can have a charger in every vehicle. I just checked and it looks fine. But I will be checking more often from now on and using the original charger on the Wing from now on, wiring in the fairing is a serious PITA to get to. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably my socket wasn't in the best shape either... however, the fuse didn't do what it was supposed to do.
The charger is obviously 'shorter' inside the socket than the Garmin one, and that never gave any trouble.
The charger was shorting the socket only in one position, when ground was across the little side-tabs (that are there for releasing the lighter). I wonder if newer Taurus/Sable still have that cigarette lighter like that or is a socket like in my Sonata, just for power, no smoking allowed...

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Today I almost burned my Sable to the ground.
I have bought an cheap USB charger (made in China) and using it to charge my phone. The thing is not made well, is shorter in length (between tip and ground) than an original Garmin charger (see below side-by-side), and sometimes it was shorting the internal tab in my Sable cigarette lighter. As an observation, newer cars don't have the same problems because different socket, since they are non-smoking cars.

quote :

Never trust a China man

·
Registered
572 Posts
Holy crap! Those wires don't look good at all! :( That melted insulation is exposing bare wire somewhere, probably shorting with another wire and knocking out your instrument cluster and radio. Good thing you didn't have the center console blocking the back of the cigarette lighter or things could have been much worse!

I've seen those USB adapters at my local Dollar Tree but never bought them because they looked like massed produced Chinese junk.

You probably want to save the damaged USB adapter for insurance reasons, but if possible, buy another USB adapter of the same model (don't use it of course) and take it apart. I bet the inside is nothing but a couple resistors and the USB plug(s). <mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":true,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

·
Registered
22,540 Posts
Fwiw, HF had a recall on their mini fuses informing people not to use them and return them for a refund due to fires.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dang it, you are right!
Do you know where the ground G200 is located? Is inside under-dashboard fuse block?
What and where is that S230 connection? S2xx are common for cluster, radio...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Was the fuse made in China too. I think it was defective.
Although the factory rating in the wiring diagram shows a 20 amp fuse, 15 is large enough, a small portable inverter is plugged in.
At 14 volts, 20 amps is 280 watts, 15amps is 210 watts. This is still way more than needed for a USB charger.

High beams are only 65 watts each, as a reference point.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 16 of 16 Posts