Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called around a few weeks ago and finnaly found a decent set of wheels for my Taurus, came from a 1997 GL (the alloy 5-spokes) for $100. Well I saved that much and went down yesterday in my cousin's Y2K Impalla to get them. They had three (not a whole set) and one was badly bent and of course wouldn't hold a tire. The other two were fair but missing their center caps. I was more than pissed, after saving up for two weeks, barrowing a car, and driving over 60 miles to get them. I looked around the yard and found a few other Taurus' but none had any decent wheels, then I found it: a 1999 SE sedan with the spoiler, POLISHED 5-spokes, and they were in good condition (the three that were there). I talked to the guy and he said "$130 for the three" and I was like "wait a minute, HOLD ON! I pay $100 for a set but $130 for only three?" Without saying a word, he called in the manager "JEFF! You have a custumer!" and out comes some guy with a freshly-lit Winston in his mouth. I recognized his voice from who I'd spoke to on the phone. I explained to him how far I'd come and how I wasnt willing to pay more for a incomplete set than I would for a complete set. He said that because the Taurus I found had the DOHC engine, the wheels were unique, and therefor worth more. I said that I was told a complete set of good-condition wheels were here waiting for me and I dont exactly have the gas to drive all the way down here for nothing. We argued and finnaly he agreed to sell them to me at $25 each, so $75 for all three including center caps and then add $5.63 tax so I ended up dropping $80.63 on the three '99 SE wheels. Little did he know I knew of another wheel of the same style at another yard on the way home. I left and drove there and showed him my recipt where I'd just paid $25 a wheel for the same wheels and he said he needed $50 for each wheel. I started to leave and he said "well, let me see if I can find one first" so I waited. He went out and returned with one with no center cap and slighly curbed (a little scraped along the edges) but with a tire and said he'd take $35 for it on account of the missing center cap and the slight damage. Done deal. I was excited also because it had a decent tire on it as well, which means I can bolt it directly on the car in place of the bald, knot-the-size-of-your-fist spare I've been riding around on for three weeks. So I came out ok I think, for a complete set of 1999 Taurus SE wheels for under $120.

I got home and bolted one on the car and noticed the huge knot on the spare, along with where it had be bent in two diffrent places. Its a wonder this tire hadnt already blown out on me.

Needless to say, the car looks AWSOME with the polished 5-spokers (even with only one on now), and now 70 mph comes and goes with absolutly no vibration. I knew it wasnt a suspension problem as I'd been told. Just crappy wheels/tires. The 1999 SE I got the first three from had 101,350 miles, was that dark purple color, and was wrecked in the drivers side/front. The other was a 1999 SE, red, wrecked VERY HARD in both the front and rear. It was obviously sandwiched between two very large vehicles. Both had the 'Tec and both were sedans (or the red one WAS a sedan, it looked more like an Aspire h/b when I saw it). I cant wait to get new tires for them and show you guys some pics. Even with just ONE new wheel and a not-that-great Ameri* General tire, the car drives so much better it makes me want to cry.

I'm about to leave to go back to Washington state, where I usually spend about 1/2 the year. I needed new wheels/tires before I left and so this is the first step. I can spend the full $355 that Wal Mart wants for TOP-'O-THE-LINE GoodYears or I can buy used tires. I think I should spring for the top-notch brand new 60K tires, they're "Eagle Spirits" or something. I wanted the new Assurance's that they've been advertising recently, the one with Patrick Stewart and a Toyota Camry on the comercial. Wal Mart doesnt carry them and if they did, I bet it'd be more than $355 for tires, mount, ballanced, installed, etc.

I'm going to keep one of my stock, 14" steel rims with a fair tire on it (the only rim not bent and with a tire that doesnt have a knot in it) as a full-size spare. I hated driving around on that doughnut. I got a full-size spare for my Tempo and Zephyr, both have come in handy several times.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! I wish I could find some nice wheels like those for my car. The junkyards here only have cars that are at least 10 years old. Yeah, like Ashley said, post pics!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Sounds good to me! You did pretty good, I think. Some of those junk yard guys are idiots, they think they have gold. I have found that they treat regulars much better so I usually go to a certain yard for just about everything.

http://www.car-part.com is also a good place to go for stuff. Its really cool to have a price in hand before you make it out to the yard.

For that deal, you get a Chilli :chili:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey nice job John. Sounds like your Taurus is gona be very happy with those rims. Enjoy them and have fun in Washington. Ya get some of those pics up ;)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I dont have a scanner and they're not bolted on the car right now anyway. I'll probably have to wait until I get to WA where my freind has a digital camera and I'll post pics of not only the rims, but the entire car including a weird looking gauge cluster: 120 MPH spedo with no tach. Looks weird but I'm used to it now. You guys should get a kick out of it.

Some newer wheels from a Sable LS would look great on your car, Qwartz. My mom has the stock alloys on her 1997 Sable, I've been trying to get her to replace them with something nicer but so far, to no avail. If she does, you want hers? They're the ones I describe as "sunflower wheels" because they look like a sunflower opened up if they were painted yellow. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
john, are they the 15" 99 wheels like i have? or the 16" sho style 99 rims?

these are the ones i have. the 99 15". this is a winter pic when i ride without centercaps, i dont want to loose them in michigan potholes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I like your stock wheels better. These are OK, I can't sell them so they are an extra set, which isn't all bad. B)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by SilverKnight@Jun 17 2004, 12:00 PM
john, are they the 15" 99 wheels like i have? or the 16" sho style 99 rims?
They are just like the one you pictured, and even one is missing a center cap so it looks EXACTLY like the one you pictured, LOL!

I got some gently used Michlen tires today for $100 installed, mounted, ballanced, everything so I'm on the road now! OH MY GOD!! The car handels like a RACE car now, so much better than the 14" rims. NO vibration whatsoever all the way past 100 mph which I did on the way home racing a lowered S10, lol. (Taurus spanked 'em BTW!) I know they're not SHO rims, but it makes my car look like a SHO from a distance. Thats not what I was going for at all, but its kinda funny, it makes you LOOK AGAIN , as it were. Looks, Ride, Performance all improved, what more could you ask for when only spending $200?

The rims on my moms '97 Sable are like the ones you picutred GV, and yea QWartz I was refering to the rims on the Wagon you picutred as what I'd like to see on your car, I think they look way upper class. I'd like to put those on my moms '97 GS as well. I hate the ones you picutred GV, but you never know who's going to like them, thats why I mentioned them.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
hm.... so now im not the only g2 with this setup :unsure:
but at least i was the 1st B)
btw. there is a g2 silver with the 97/98 5spokes runnin around my town.
but mine is still lots cooler

1 - 13 of 13 Posts