Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon i went up to Reliable Motors to check this black 93 GL Taurus I saw. I deceided to test drive the 93 GL they had sitting on the lot. I gave them my license and they scanned it or some BS like that and gave me the key.
Quick inspection shows that it is a Vulcan, floor shift, driver air bag, leather, power driver seat, floor shift.
Heres a quick inspection, and YES i know. I opened the door and thought it was a digital dash, but no....
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicl...a.php?id=129297

So...i turn off the main highway onto the road and come to a stop and open it up...heres WOT to 34 (speed limit is 25) and lots of cops are out for tourists.
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicl...a.php?id=129298

Overall Impression: What a piece of crap that car was. I betcha it was all due to lack of maintence. Had no pickup, abs didnt work, NO rearview mirror. Shakey handling, shakes,rattles and rock 'n' rolls. A/C worked great though. Nice and convienent. I hope my next test drive of a Taurus is better.
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=129304&toggle=fullsize&filename=Driving%206-17%20003.jpg' alt='' width='2048' height='1536' class='attach' />[/url]

Note: I am 17, so I havnt a clue why they let me...i thought the law was 18. guess it depends if u have a unrestricted license. Also guy replaced motor mounts a few days ago and will get a 60 dollar headliner for free.

So...voice ur opinion...

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
404: mad vulcan powah not found

<---- yet again I refer to my user text... :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^ :lol:

X

·
0 Posts
The car is 11 years old, so give it some credit. Parts are going to get old and start to wear out. Not to mention the fact that you are comming from a 200hp well built vehicle, so 145 hp from a motor which doesn't rev very high isn't going to seem fast. My suggestion is to stick with the accord. If you must have a taurus, scout ads for private party cars being sold by old people which have dealer maintainance records. Not only was the car driven very softly, they probably overly maintained it since dealers like to take advantage of old people. :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Accord aint mine...its mom's. Ya..i know its 11...but cmon, when aim the wheels straight ahead i dont wanna drive with the wheel turned to the right 10-15 degrees. Whatever, i wasnt gona buy it anyways, I just had never drivin a Taurus...now i have :mellow:

Maybe I need to make a visit to Boca Reton or something this fall....:uptosumpn:

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
i like my g2 taurus, dont really like full leather, or that crappy gauge cluster,. mine has a tach with the 85mph speedo. mine isnt fast compared to my moms vulcan, but it gets up and goes alright. but yeah, be sure when u buy a car u really like it and its been maintained and low miles.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 17 2004, 11:40 PM
Accord aint mine...its mom's. Ya..i know its 11...but cmon, when aim the wheels straight ahead i dont wanna drive with the wheel turned to the right 10-15 degrees. Whatever, i wasnt gona buy it anyways, I just had never drivin a Taurus...now i have :mellow:

Maybe I need to make a visit to Boca Reton or something this fall....:uptosumpn:
Sounds like it definitely needed an alignment... :blink: (among other things ;) )

Y

·
0 Posts
You need to test drive a Gen 4 with the duratec and tell me a taurus is slow. My sister 95 green GL has the vulcan and it is slow, but, its still overall a great car, nothing has gone wrong with it, and my parents bought it new. I drove all the way to Michigan from Western PA to get my car a 2000 SEL which has now only 26000 miles on it, and I love every bit of it. I can't complain. just before you consider not ever driving a taurus, please go out and test drive a gen 4, you will love the difference in the years, I have found lots of taurus's for as low as 5500 maybe lower with pretty low miles, just do yourself a favor, look at autotradre for deals. and just because they dont have a picture, give the dealer or private seller a call, thats what I did and look how nice my car is (not to brag) just give ford a chance!
Oh yeah, and I'm 18 and dont worry about being young and driving a family car, I think its a good looking car, my sister has even driven hers since my mom got her cadillac like 5 years ago when she was 16.

·
Registered
470 Posts
After watching the WOT video, something is wrong with that car, cuz I know my Vulcan does 0-30 quicker than that!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Jun 18 2004, 12:38 AM
After watching the WOT video, something is wrong with that car, cuz I know my Vulcan does 0-30 quicker than that!
Yeah... I was thinking the same thing. :lol2: Well... I don't have a gen2 but yeah, my gen 3 is faster than that.... Time for some video camera action! :p

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Yep that mad vulcan power right there if i ever saw it :thumb: I think thats about how fast my friend's 92 went before it got t-boned with it's slow s***ing tranny. My other friend who had a 92 2.3 3speed tempo beat him many many times. And my grand am just make it him look sad.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I'm glad I have a 3.8L..

My old 3.0L Vulan taurus was much peppier than that one though..

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I've had a '96GL and I right now I own a '01SE, both of them had/have the Vulcan. You must have had a horribly maintained car. Even though my '96 had 120k miles when I bought it (it was the company car from my Dad's old work which they auctioned off to the employees), it still had a bit of go power. Unfortunately, I ran the thing ragged until the tranny pretty much gave up at 165k. :) At least it was a cheap (read: $2,500) first car.

Now if you want to give the Taurus another chance, see if you can find a friend's automatic 92-95SHO (if you can't drive a stick), or even a 96-current w/Duratech engine, and then tell me there's no power. :D

Like I've always said to my friends who make fun of me: there's a reason a Taurus is in Nascar. (no need to post about how many mods they make to it ;D)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
One neat thing about the Taurus is that the PCM and "adaptive transaxle" learn fairly quickly. If you take that car and drive the piss out of it for about 5-10 miles, it'll move the shift point up a few hundred rpms. My fiance used to drive the '95 GL to work, which involved one of those boring roads where 35mph is barely attainable b/c of all the traffic, and you can't even accelerate quickly from any of the lights b/c of all the delivery trucks and old people. When I drove the car on the weekends I'd floor it and the engine would be like :huh: :headscratch: :( but after a few miles of WOT action, it would pep back up and shift higher. :burnout:

At any rate, that car you tested was a dog... stay away from it. There are PLENTY of nice, affordable, low mileage Tauruses that were well maintained and have the records to prove it. It's just not worth it to buy a Taurus that needs an unknown amount of work when there are so many fine examples around that are very well-priced.

And, for the record, my '92 accelerates better than that, and it's running on 4 cylinders. :freak2:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Low speed acceleration is never a strong point when dealing with an AXOD, especially earlier versions. Once my car hits around 45-50 though, its like a freight train all the way to 120+. Around town, my buddy wasted me with his 5-speed CRX, but on the highway, when we were both doing about 55-60, we both went for it and the Taurus made the CRX look like it was stuck in the mud. A few miles later when the tire blew out on my Taurus, I WAS the one almost stuck in the mud, LOL.

I can't see the video you posted because of this slow a** computer w/ dial up, but my car isnt what I'd call slow at lower speeds, and it has 234,000 miles on its original Vulcan.

I wish I were closer to where you live, I'd let you drive it if you wanted. You'd see that a 1993 Vulcan can be one hell of car when its the right car, not a ragged out dealer's lot car. Usually, when you find older cars like that at a used car dealer, its because they were traded in at a new car dealer and then wholesaled because the new-car dealer wanted nothing to do with them. Either it was a low-profit car or it failed a mechanical inspection. Either way, there is a reason it ends up on some Big Bobs Used Cars And Fishin' Bait lot.

Keep in mind though, Taurus is a mid-size sedan thats ment to carry its driver and passengers to the grochery store, to work, and maybe on a long road trip but not to go lay waste to Z28's, 'Stang GTs, and Focus SVTs. Oh wait, I beat a Focus SVT in my 3.0 Tempo so maybe Taurus could do that, LOL!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See, now thats what I thought. Maybe I should look into gen 3's. Ya...that 93 was a bad example, plus it was smoked it, yuk. I found a dealer in another city with gen 3's and 4's out for sale and they look in much better so I might stop by next week. Thanks for the comments ya'll.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Next time you test drive tauruses, ask the salesman to race your accord in the taurus. Just keep racing them until you find a car as fast or faster than the accord. It would probably be easier to do this with younger salesmen.

BTW, I think Boca may be a little too high end to have used tauruses for sale, but Tamarac and Margate are filled with old people who love Mercury. Maybe you can get a sable.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts