Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the hubbie was on his way to work. There was 4 inches of snow on the ground and he was going down the back roads. He was going around a curve, and since our tires were so bald the car went completely straight instead of turning. The car hit the curve really hard at a weird angle. As he was driving something was making a loud noise and he didn't have much control over the car. The car completely went to the otherside of the road while he was driving and ended up hitting another curb. A half hour later he showed up back home because it was so bad that he couldn't even drive to work. Later on he went up to Belle Tire to see what was wrong. He ended up breaking the right hand lower ball joint. So we had to get that fixed, plus an alignment. I told him to take my rims up there and get tires while he was at it. So he did. Finally! I told him to get the Conitental Conti -extremes, but when he told the guy that i wanted them, he said they were out of stock. He said that they had an equivelant which were Kelly Chargers ZR dIR. They were $109 a piece but he said since we were having the car fixed also, that he would give them to us for $80 a peice. since thats what the continentals were a piece. The guy at Belle Tire looked at my rims and said that without a doubt that the machine that removes the rims from the tires at Sears, did that to my rims. He said that Belle Tire has done it before and it was the same marks. He told my husband that they would of had to replace the rims if it happened at Belle Tire. He told him that the guy at Sears is lying and that we shouldn't even be talking to him. He also said that if they were like that beforehand, than Sears should of wrote it down on the work order form. Anyhow, we asked if he could write us a note to give to corporate, but for legal reasons they couldn't do that. But now i know for sure that the manager of SEars is lying. Now what i want to know is, does anyone have these tires? and are they any good? here is some info on them. I got the 225/55/16

Charger© Directional ZR

Ultra High-Performance Radial

Ultra high-performance tread design highlights performance appearance
"W" speed rated
Directional tread sweeps water away from centerline and expels it out through wide, deep grooves
High ply turn-up construction assures excellent steering response
Unique rubber compound and directional tread provide outstanding wet and dry traction for optimum handling and cornering power
M+S rated for all-season traction
Radial ply polyester cord construction for smooth ride
Two steel belts with nylon overlays for strength, durability and true performance handling
Halobutyl inner liner for dependable air retention
Mirror image sidewall

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
There is a tire comparison on V8SHO.com. The list is towards the end of that page. About the HR version they say:

Kelly Charger HR
Car & Driver rated them 3/8 dry, 4/7 wet, 4/7 overall, average on snow.[/b]
Cute new avatar, by the way

·
Registered
48 Posts
Customer of mine has had 2 sets of Kelly Chargers, seems to like them.

FWIW, I just had a set of 235/45-17 Toyo Proxes T1-S put on the 95 ATX SHO the other day, and WOW. Dry grip is far superior to the BFG G-Force KDW. Wet is ok. Snow, fuggeddaboutit. Took me 5 minutes to go 4 houses' worth up my street this morning.

Good luck with your new sneakers.

B

·
0 Posts
Kelly tires have been around forever. I had a set of Chargers on my Z28 (years ago) and they lasted pretty well, throughout burnouts and all. I would say for the type of driving you do, and the fact that the car will most likely never see any track days, those tires are fine. Overkill in fact. W-rated is good for 168 MPH if I recall right. God help you if you reach those speeds in a Taurus.

About the rims, I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like it's going to be one person's word against another. I would call or write Sears corporate and complain. Sears Automotive has been down the complaint road MANY times, and even had a few class action judgements against them.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, i'll go 168!! maybe in my dreams! well i'm glad the tires are good. i was a little worried cause i've never really heard anything about them. so i guess once i get my chip back from alberto than i can chirp my tires over and over again without worring too much! Thanks for the info guys!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Sounds like the typical Belle Tire line. They are like the only place that sells Kelly Tires and they push them ALOT. Oh well, hope you like them. You could have gone with the much more common size of 215/60/16 and they probably would have had them in stock.

$88 for 225/55 Conti Xtremes

$87 for 215/60 Xtremes

·
Registered
113 Posts
A question about tires. I have a 2k taurus with the factory rims. I'de like some suggestions about all-season, performance replacements in the $95 to $130 range. The Conti-extremes look good and rate good at tirerack.com. Anyone have those?
Also I'de like something a little wider and with a little lower profile then the Original Equipment 215/60-16. All suggestions and links to other forums would be great. I'm rolling on the Firestones POS's now. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
225-55-16 is the stock tire size for the SHO. They should fit fine. It's not an uncommon size, either, a lot of cars had this size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Mar 18 2004, 09:00 AM
225-55-16 is the stock tire size for the SHO. They should fit fine. It's not an uncommon size, either, a lot of cars had this size.
You should be taken out back & throttled, Bob. WHAP!

215/60-16 is the stock size for the 89-95 V6 SHO. Dunno about the V8's, I think those are 55-series.

The 225/55-16 is a popular oversize for the V6 SHO. I have Blizzaks & BFG G-Forces on my old BBS wheels at that size.

B

·
0 Posts
Au contrair, I could have been more descriptive though. 225-55 is stock for the V8, this person has a 2k, similar body style and rim size, that's what I based my answer on.

However, I'm always up for a good whipping!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, but if I didn't KNOW they were talking about a newer Taurus, and you mention "SHO", there were FIVE V6 SHOs made for every ONE V8, and 7 years vs 4 years of production. I'd bet generalizing "SHO" would be considered a "mistake" (picture Dr. Evil, with his finger "quotes" saying "LASER") by a few folks. WHAP!

Go make me a strut bar or somethin'.

You coming to the Dyno Day 4/10/04 with that Super-Turbo-Nitrous-Intercooled-AWD-Vulcan of yours?

I'll give you a call this weekend, Mistah Bob.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I like Nitto 450 Extreme tires. Bought my second set last month. Long wearing (for a performance tire) quiet and good in the rain. Rated all season but I don't use them in the winter. Discount tire had the best deal.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Mar 20 2004, 09:03 PM
I like Nitto 450 Extreme tires.  Bought my second set last month.  Long wearing (for a performance tire) quiet and good in the rain.  Rated all season but I don't use them in the winter.  Discount tire had the best deal.
Not the first glowing review I've heard for the Nitto 450 extremes! If you look at Epinions.com you will find a very positive review from one of our own TCCAers, pumaboyairn. I'm thinking about getting them for my new 17s, since the ContiExtremes aren't offered in the 225/50-17 size. Of course, if I step down to a 225/45-17 and cough up a few more bucks, I can get the Pirelli PZero Nero, which is the best-rated all season performance tire, according to TireRack's survey. Hmm...

*edit* Two of my uncles work for Kelly Tires. My brother's 67 Falcon (with the 390FE) gets new Kelly Chargers every few years. They do seem to wear pretty quickly, but then again they get lit up quite frequently. He keeps going back to them, so he must like them.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I have been 100% happy with the Nitto 555's on my Mustang. I wouldnt suggest winter driving with them though.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now i'm lost. at first i was gonna get 215/55/16, but everyone told me that was a wierd size. so i went with 225/55/16 so it would fill up my wheel well more. that was the size on the V8 SHO's right? so why would that be a wierd size. The Belle Tire had that size, but they were out of stock. so he offered us the Kelly's which were $109. and since we were getting our car fixed there, he gave them to us for $80 a piece. so he took it. i'm really satisfied with these so far. they are really quiet, and i tested them on the ice the other day and they came to a dead stop. i'll put up pics tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Those tires should be pretty good. Kelly has been around about as long as Cooper tires. I have found that both of these companies offer a better value and similar performance of other name brands(Good Year, Yokahoma, Continental, Michlin, etc.). I am just glad nothing got too messed up in the slide. At least your car is about back to normal. Now you just have to fight Sears. Is there a way to take them to small claims court?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Kelly-Springfield has been owned by Goodyear for over 20 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts