Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used 1/0 gauge knukoncept kollosus flek cable.I also used knukoncept battery terminals. Here are some pics I took not the greatest but you get the idea.

kollosus Flek Kable 1/0

Here is the old

Here is the new wiring and terminal

battery/alternator terminals

Full view

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what benefits do you get by performing this modification? Besides some lights I tapped into the courtesy light wiring, I don't really have any stereo/electrical mods. Will this get rid of the flickering you sometimes get from the interior lights or the slight dimming of the headlights such as when the AC compressor kicks on or other electrical device kicks on?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 9 2009, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716584
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what benefits do you get by performing this modification? Besides some lights I tapped into the courtesy light wiring, I don't really have any stereo/electrical mods. Will this get rid of the flickering you sometimes get from the interior lights or the slight dimming of the headlights such as when the AC compressor kicks on or other electrical device kicks on?[/b]
It helps you get the power from the alt faster. It will help when the compressor kicks in.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pretty much what the big 3 upgrade means improving the current capacity of your 3 cables. You have your alternator positive to battery positive, then you have battery negative to chassis, and engine ground to chassis. It lowers the resistance, smaller voltage drops, also give you more stable voltage and better current flow.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ahhh ok, that makes some sense now. Thanks for the explanation. I'm far from an expert, but looks like a nice clean job for the wiring on your Sable B)

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
How much did you spend for that gauge wire and the connectors? I'm thinking of doing the big 3 but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Isn't it suppose to help your headlight brightness too? Obviously helps with dimming headlights problem with a large system. Farad cap is more of a band-aid compared to this.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (TheJcode @ Apr 10 2009, 01:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716682
Isn't it suppose to help your headlight brightness too? Obviously helps with dimming headlights problem with a large system. Farad cap is more of a band-aid compared to this.[/b]
To a point, but you need a headlight harness to increase the actual output. The big 3 will help with some of the dimming.

The wires for the headlights are ridiculously small.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (dark_fire @ Apr 10 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716767
The wires for the headlights are ridiculously small.[/b]
Ford should be ashamed for letting that pass as OK. The headlights are not very good at illuminating the road during the night. Heck even with the harness and good bulbs, there is still room for improvement.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How did you get to the alternator on the duratec?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can you leave the stock connections intact and just run another power wire from the alt to the battery with an inline fuse? And can you leave the stock ground on too?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts