Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to changing my brake pads and rotors today. I got one side done and had to leave the other side for tomorrow, too much going on at one time at home.

I used some Carbon Metallic pads and Duralast Gold Rotors I picked up at AutoZone a few days ago. My CEL came on again and I had them check the codes. It was still 1401, non-descript EGR problem, I'll have to sort that out later.

The entire process was very easy, except for getting the lug nuts loose and getting the caliper mount off. Wal-Mart had torqued the crap out of the lugs, and I finally got them off with the help of a little Liquid Wrench (as teh Bob had suggested :notworthy: ). I thought I was going to snap a couple of them right off at one point, but they finally broke loose. The caliper mount was a PITA, I assume because of all of the brake dust and whatnot.

The new pads and rotor went back on without incident. I did manage a few mods while I had the opportunity. I painted the caliper and the caliper mount black using Rustolium [sic] high-temp black paint. I'm not too happy with the dull finish, but its better than stock, I think (no pics yet, the wheel is all nasty and needs to be cleaned up, plus I don't own a digital camera. I'll try to get a shot of it).

I also took out my intake silencer while I was on that side, as a break from cursing at the caliper mount bolts. Haven't had a chance to drive it, since my other side still has the bad brakes. I did notice a slight sound difference. Hey, its my first performance mod. :banana:

On a side note, I also got to use my new torque wrench to properly set the torque for the brake assembly bolts. I don't know why that's exciting, but it just is to me :)

The brakes were in pretty bad shape, particularly the inner most pad. The rotor was badly warped and and worn unevenly. I torqued the lugs to spec, and I'll check them once a day for the next week to make sure they stay in spec.

Not really sure why I thought anyone would be interested in reading this, but there it is. A maintenance item taken care of, an aesthetic mod, and a performance mod all on the same day. Can't beat that. I'll get some pics of the new calipers when I can.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey, man I understand your feeling. It's always a great thing when you take care of your car! You know that it's going to perform better than it did before, and you've been a good steward of your investment!

Good job!

·
Registered
53 Posts
IT feels good to get the brakes done yourself, especially on these cars...I did my wife's 99 SE last year, Brembo rotors, PRO ceramic pads. I told her it is the same setup that is in Ferrari's. She seemed to like that.

Later,

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were severely warped. When braking, the entire front end of the car would shake to such a degree that I would almost call it violent. The wear on the discs and the brakes was very odd looking. There were grooves worn into the pads at certain locations, I assume this was from the rotors being warped. It stops smooth as glass now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not really sure why I thought anyone would be interested in reading this, but there it is.
I am always happy to hear that someone has taken the time and effort to diagnose the problem and do the work themselves. Not only does it give a great feeling of pride and accomplishment, but it provides the opportunity to get to know your vehicle intimately. When you know your vehicle well it becomes like another appendage rather than a mysterious scarey box that you climb into.

Live without fear --- repair your own vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts