Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a trick to accessing the PCV valve? Mine is blocked by a large wiring harness that I am afraid to pull on or be rough with because it seems very brittle and very important. I'm only able to barely touch the valve with the tips of my fingers. Other than recruiting a very strong toddler with tiny hands to remove the valve, does anybody have advice on how to access this infernal thing? 2002 DOHC

ty

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Is there a trick to accessing the PCV valve? Mine is blocked by a large wiring harness that I am afraid to pull on or be rough with because it seems very brittle and very important. I'm only able to barely touch the valve with the tips of my fingers. Other than recruiting a very strong toddler with tiny hands to remove the valve, does anybody have advice on how to access this infernal thing? 2002 DOHC

ty
See Pic. This tool will let you turn 180 degrees CCW but will not pull it out. Then use needle nosed pliers to reach it and pull. The same tool works fine for installing. Helps to note the location of the ears that engage the threads so you get it started in the proper orientation for the half turn CW to seat it.

No need to move any elect wires. Pic shows the direction of the tool to remove, but you do not need to remove all that is shown in the pic.

I like the Motorcraft elbow and hose to attach to the PCV as that hose does not come with most PCV. The elbow is a weak link.

-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chart, Thank you for the detailed information. I did go with the Motorcraft elbow and hose and was pleased with the fit (its currently fitted on the old valve). What is that tool that you are showing in the photo? Is that a specialized tool, or just a 7/8 socket? If it is a socket, did you just wedge it onto the end of the pcv and turn?

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
chart, Thank you for the detailed information. I did go with the Motorcraft elbow and hose and was pleased with the fit (its currently fitted on the old valve). What is that tool that you are showing in the photo? Is that a specialized tool, or just a 7/8 socket? If it is a socket, did you just wedge it onto the end of the pcv and turn?
Socket is a standard 12 point socket.

PCV is square, but it fits tightly enough to hold it.

-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a great trick! I will give it a shot. Thanks again for the thorough response!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad I found this and thanks for the pictures. I 'm about to go after mine too. I only have the valve, didn't think about replacing the elbow. I might as well, seeing as two other elbows have deteriorated on me.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Glad I found this and thanks for the pictures. I 'm about to go after mine too. I only have the valve, didn't think about replacing the elbow. I might as well, seeing as two other elbows have deteriorated on me.
DOHC elbows.
For valve cover fresh air to the crankcase.

See pic for my solution. Cost about $2 per side, and they will last a long time.

This is important that the fresh air supply does not leak. It is metered air to the crankcase and out the PCV to the intake. If it leaks, then it is UN-metered air and confuses the processor. And in addition it is dirty air going into the engine.

So it is to provide metered clean air to the crankcase.

-chart-

·
Registered
16 Posts
today i was changing my pcv valve and boom the hose just fell apart... :(.. I have a ford taurus 2002 vulcan, which is a little different from the one pioctured above.. every store i go tells me to go buy it at an agency or the dealer... is there any other store that could supplies this...?? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See Pic. This tool will let you turn 180 degrees CCW but will not pull it out. Then use needle nosed pliers to reach it and pull. The same tool works fine for installing. Helps to note the location of the ears that engage the threads so you get it started in the proper orientation for the half turn CW to seat it.

No need to move any elect wires. Pic shows the direction of the tool to remove, but you do not need to remove all that is shown in the pic.

I like the Motorcraft elbow and hose to attach to the PCV as that hose does not come with most PCV. The elbow is a weak link.

-chart-
This worked like a charm! Much simpler than what I thought would need to be done to access the PCV valve. Thanks a million!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts