Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang.

I finally took the plunge, and put the car on a dyno to get tuned. Turned out pretty cool. I took the car to Fastlane performance, in Houston. They are a well-known, and respected, tuning shop. The amount of Shelby supersnakes and Ford GT's in their lot seemed promising. Interestingly enough, though not surprising, I was their first Taurus to get dynotuned, especially on e85. However, I don't think I'll be the last, with the new SHOs about to hit the streets.

I had it tuned for e72(ish) since that's what most "e85" mixes are. I also had them throw a out of the box SCT 93 octane tune on the programmer, so I could run gasoline if I wanted to.

The shop tuned in the duratec MAF, and used a Wideband o2 sensor. Kept the stock shift points, but firmed them up (A LOT).

So far, I freaking love it. Just needs a couple tweaks (idle speed, etc...). I'll start datalogging it when I download the software. The old auto drop-top 5.0 (driven by typical punk kid) appreciated the tune last night as well, as him and his passengers all went bright-eyed as my car barked the tires going into 2nd gear, and the Taurus walked away. :blink:

The car made 146whp/170wtq, at the rpms that ford says these engines make their peak hp and tq. No baseline run, unfortuantely. :( The guy's computer screwed up. Given a 22% drivetrain loss, the car is making around 188/217 at the crank. Not too bad. It'd be a baaaad mother-effer with some ported heads. Now to wait for the 160k mile stock trans to grenade.

Here's a chart of the final dyno run. I'll wait for Jose and Rudy to post up vids. The car sounded angry! And the e85 smells like race fuel in the higher rpms. :D

[attachment=28954:3_2009_d...t_resize.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Not bad, dude! Congrats!

I just got a tune done for the Mustang, and it's really amazing what some tuning can do for these cars. Once I get a little crazier with engine mods, I'm going to get the car tuned on a dyno.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get headers-back exhaust for that 3v. I've seen some amazing results with full exhaust + tune, on those. The difference is b-a-n-a-n-a-s. :banana:

and thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
not bad at all for a vulcan!! cant wait for those vids!!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Unfortunately, the videos Jon took didn't turn out so well, not bad for an 11 year old, but not worth the time to edit and all that, sooooo, we'll have to see what Jose got.......................

As for my car, I was expecting a little more, but I guess it's not too bad. I certainly would like to know why it's all squigly, my other dyno sheet from a couple of years ago looked like a bunch of 1/2" limp spaghetti noodles strewn across the sheet. Dynos just don't like my car I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're gonna have to get yours all fixed up. That car is TOO quick to make numbers like that. Plus the seizure of a dynograph should be a good indication that something is awry.

Also, I knew it! Your car DOES make power a lot higher than mine. Almost 500 rpm's higher. I'm definitely gonna need a re-tune when I throw an 07 motor in the car.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Im very happy with the results Mark got. I need to drive that thing soon. As for the video, I will look for the cord and I will upload it on youtube.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You gotta remember I don't have the newer probably more "up to date" programming of an 07 ECU, injectors, or ignition components. I have 16 year old induction components, new injectors, but they are still 1993 spec, and a distributor. Not that it probably makes THAT much of a difference, but you never know. I think I'll replace that ECT sensor tomorrow, see what that does. It passed inspection with damn near 000000000's and some other really low ass numbers compared to the "standard", so it IS running at least a little "well".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts