Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title asks, when were the FFV (Fuel Flex Vehicle/Vulcan) Tauri introduced? I thought it started in 2000, possibly a few in the GenIII models, but I recently spotted a GenII Taurus with the FFV and leaf badges while on a fishing trip in Canada. I know the owner could have just bought them at a dealer and put them on himself, but I couldn't really see someone wanting to do that.

Were there actually GenII's with the FFV, or is this like someone putting 24V DOHC badges on their Vulcan?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought it was started in the late 90's on some Gen 3's but not sure. I have noticed however that not everyone with a FFV engine, such as myself, have the badges on their car, such as myself, although I do kind of like them.

Robert

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The FFV started in the gen 2 (92-95)

-Kyle

·
Registered
389 Posts
:withstupid:

April 8, 1993; Ford starts building Flexible-Fuel Vehicle (FFV) Taurus at Chicago Assembly Plant.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What I would like to know. What fuels does this car burn? Has anyone burned any of these alternative fuels? How does the car perform? Comparisons?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the only fuel other than gasoline a flex fuel will burn is methonol and they don't sell that down here so I have never tried it. If it were cheaper I wish they would, I would give it a shot.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
I know the gen 4 FFV Vulcan is 155HP with 195 ft./pounds of torque. I have no idea the gen 3 or 2 though.

It can run on like 100% mehtonol or 100% regular gas or any combination of the 2. The older FFV's had a digital dash that told you the % of alcohol or something like that in your fuel...I know the gen 3's had a digital display that told you your miles to empty and the percentage of alcohol in your fuel. (See attached pic.)

-Kyle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think it is ethanol, not methanol.

Does the FFV Vulcan look different than the regular Vulcan under the hood? I'm doing research for the Spotter's Guide and maybe I could just reuse the stock Vulcan image for the FFV Vulcans.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I noticed not all FFV's say FFV on the side, some of them just show the leaf thing, mine has the leaf thing and FFV on there.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 26 2004, 07:54 PM
I think it is ethanol, not methanol.

Does the FFV Vulcan look different than the regular Vulcan under the hood? I'm doing research for the Spotter's Guide and maybe I could just reuse the stock Vulcan image for the FFV Vulcans.
In the GenIV's some (possibly all) of the FFV's had the aluminum UIM, while the normal ones got the composite one. I think some of the regular 2000 Vulcans also had aluminum UIM's, but I'm not positive on that one.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My 2000 FFV had the aluminum upper intake. The fender badges are stuck to my toolbox.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by sfhess@Aug 27 2004, 12:27 PM
My 2000 FFV had the aluminum upper intake.
:spinningsmiley: yeah mine too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts