Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 FFV Vulcan (76K miles) shifts at about 5,000 RPMs max when under WOT. Near/at that engine speed, my battery light flickers and the lights dim in my car.

My mom has a 1994 Taurus with a vulcan, which shifts/redlines at 5500-5700 RPMs without a hitch. I really like how smoothly it revs all the way up to redline. My 2000 seems to lose steam at 5,000 RPM.

Now it's probably for the best that my car shifts where it does to preserve engine life, but I don't know why the battery light should flicker if the engine isn't even redlining yet.

*Note* My battery light never comes on otherwise, only at high engine speeds.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
at higher engine speeds your motor needs more power for spark so you are drawing more electricity and you computer just thinks your batter is dead maybe a better batter would fix this

and you also have flexible fuel vehicle and this maybe the reason you are loseing steem that motor is realy for greenies that dont care for proformace

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
That may be a sign of a failing or weak alternator.

I have had a few do the exact same thing...

85 volvo 240, the light would come on at high engine rev's, around 5500. The alternator failed shortly after.

89 Nissan 240SX, same story as above.

91 volvo 240, alt light would come on when the rev's approached 6k. I knew the alternator's brushes where wearing out. One night I forgot and when I went WOT and the engine got close to 6500, the alternator failed. I replaced the brushes and that fixed the problem.

My dad's nissan truck did the same thing, and the dealer replaced the alternator.

So, that's my experience with the flashing battery light at high engine rpm's. If the voltage regulator / brush pack is removable from the back of the alternator, take it off and see if the brushes have worn down. If they are replaceable that can make the difference between a cheap fix or replacing the whole alternator. I know it's removable on my sable, but I have to find out if they're replaceable, the brushes are wearing down and I don't want to get stuck somwhere.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I'll agree with 93 Sable, we had that happen on mom's 89 Sable, the alt light would start to come on around 5000, and just after the alt died

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
My car did this when one of the brushes broke in two and the other was almost worn out. And if it's a 96-99 the brushes are quite replaceable, not sure about the older ones. If it's a 3rd gen alternator (has internal fans instead of the one you can see) then they are replaceable. The brushes on my 87 F-150 were replaceable also.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Aug 12 2004, 12:40 PM

and you also have flexible fuel vehicle and this maybe the reason you are loseing steem that motor is realy for greenies that dont care for proformace
Ahem!! FFV's are not just for performanceless greenies... B) my car comes alive at 4500 all the way out to 5600.

I agree with the others. I read the dilemma and immediately thought alternator. Get yo-self a new alty and dont get stranded.

FFV's r0x0rs teh s0x0rs!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Your belt could be slipping a bit at high RPM's only. Check the condition of your belt and all pulleys and make sure your tensioner is working.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Aug 13 2004, 08:01 AM
Your belt could be slipping a bit at high RPM's only. Check the condition of your belt and all pulleys and make sure your tensioner is working.
also make sure your battry is still good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts