Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend me and my friend Gary are gonna hook up Nitrous to my car. he has 2 kits and he wants to put one in my car for a little while. its not gonna be permenant. we are just gonna put it on and go to the track the following weekend. i think its a dry kit. with a 100 or 125 shot. not sure exactly. i just wanted to make sure there was nothing special we had to do to my car first to make sure it doesn't wreck anything. do i need to change the spark plugs or anything? is there any tips someone can give me that has installed it on a gen4? thanks guys.

S

·
0 Posts
Watch out with your tranny, with a 125 shot of Nitrous... that will be BAD... lol, but you do have warranty on it... so he he he GO FOR IT!

Sal

·
Registered
235 Posts
Of course if you blow your tranny you need to take the NOS off before you take it to the dealer, or blow anything else for that matter, because they won't honor the warranty if they know the problems were caused by a shot of nitrous. You may want to ask someone if the dealer can tell somehow if you have been using nitrous. I would hate to have you blow up something and then have to pay cash to get it fixed. Sorry the old sensable man with no money coming out.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by jedhead@Sep 27 2004, 08:57 PM
You need to make sure that the fuel system can give the necessary amount of gas to support the extra oxygen in the nitrous. If the engine gets lean on fuel, you will get detonation and can put a hole in your piston.

Bob
yeah and that would totally suck. how do i go about making sure it doesn't happen?

also, i thought you would need copper plugs, but my friend said the OEM ones are ok as long as they aren't platinum. but i have no idea.

i'm gonna ask about the dealership. yesterday my cuz and his friend said that they can tell if you have or have had a performance chip in your car. so they probably can tell about the nitrous. i'll have to find out. that would really suck to void a 100,000 mile warrenty at 6,000 miles. in that case, i'd have to forget the nitrous. and if something breaks, don't worry, i'm not gonna leave the nitrous in. lol.

anyone here know for sure if they can tell at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Some nitrous systems come with a fuel management thing that regulates how much extra gas to give while the nitrous is running.
A 125 is probably to much for a stock motor but, if it's under warranty, go for it. Be sure to take a video camera with you. Cause where all gonna wanna see this.
And i belive the reason for the copper plugs is cause the copper plugs will foul out soon than a good quality kind. And it's better to have the plug foul than have your motor shot. And if you want a cooler plug get one that the range is cooler dont just go to copper cause you want a cooler plug.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I would be very wary about running a chip with nitrous also. Advanced timing + untuned nitrous kit + pump gas = new engine, especially one without forged internals.

My 00 Duratec had MotorCraft platinums stock, so you probably have platinum plugs. People with nitrous run NGK's with pretty good success, and with that kind of shot you probably want 2 ranges colder.

I'm not telling you what to do, but if it was MY car I wouldnt just throw a nitrous kit on it. There is alot that goes into something like this, and if you do any part of it half-assed you can really **** up your engine.

Here's a list of commonly installed accessories not usually included in the standard kits.

RPM swith
WOT switch
High capacity fuel pump
Injectors
Custom chip
Adjustable FPR
Bottle warmer
Remote opener
Bottle pressure guage
Fuel pressure gauge

I'm not a nitrous expert by any means, but I know enough about it that I know that you dont just throw on a kit you have lying around and expect to run safely. It takes a dyno-tune + chip burnt, extra fuel, higher octane fuel, and intelligent use of the system to get the best performance and still have a reasonable margin of safety.

There are some dry kits like ZEX which include a control box that automatically adjust the parameters of the engine so that it runs safely. A regular NOS or Nitrous Oxide kit does not have this, and needs to be setup for each car. Call up some nitrous companies and see what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i just talked to Gary and he said its a Simgle Fogger Wet kit. he said we can spray whatever we want, but he figured a 75 shot to be good and SAFE. anyone know anything about this kit?

also, i don't have my performance chip in my car. it hasn't been reburned yet. so that will not be in.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by glaurick@Sep 27 2004, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't run anything more than a 75 shot it that car or you'll blow your gasket
No, the gaskets are good for it.

Rule of thumb for this is no more than 50% of stock power....so no more than 100 shot. And for an inexperenced user and no modifications to back it up, i would not go over a 55 shot.

Brad

·
Registered
639 Posts
125 shot? Your crazy, your going to blow your heads and gaskets and rip your tranny appart, though if you do it atleast tape it so we can all see. :p

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
id ask your husband if he can pay the car loan off in full somtime this week, youll be needing a new car by next week....maybe you should start lookin into a new car to save you time! :lol2:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Were not making fun of you, its just funny because you should know that if you know enough to install it that that WAY to much boost for your car. No hard feelings.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Damn, your hubby flipped over a system, so I'm guessing if he finds out about this we'll all be driving to Michigan to participate in a Taurus/Sable caravan at your funeral procession to honor a fallen member. :p

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Sarah, from what I've heard more than a few times, a wet kit on a Taurus engine is definitely NOT teh win. :unsure:
Personally, I wouldn't go with more than a 75 shot dry kit on an unmodified engine, and a tranny cooler is an absolute must. And definitely bring a camera. :p

On a related side note...

Anyone ever see the video of the kid in that Eclipse GSX as he went up against that M3? Remember what happened when he hit 3rd gear? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Anything over 75hp I would go wet. I don't know about a G4, but the G3 Taurii only had a 65 LPH fuel pump. That won't cover a good wet kit. I put ina 190 LPH pump for the time when I can add N2O.

I use NGK TR6 plugs (one heat range colder than stock) without problem.

I don't think an adjustible FPR is necessary if the kit comes with an FMU. Also, I think that the WOT switch for the TB is usually provided.

Why would she need larger injectors? Do you mean if she runs a dry kit? That must be it. I think that I would just go for a wet kit - you don't have the adjustment delay of the EEC to deal with when the N2O kicks on.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Don't use a wet kit unless you are spraying at the intake ports. If you try to spray fuel and NO2 in the throttle body area the gas will fall out of suspension and puddle in the intake. Then your car will go lean and boom. A dry kit will work, but you need a way to force the injectors to spray more fuel when the NO2 is going into the engine. Also you would want a way to retard the timing. The only SHO I new that had a pretty reliable set up was a dry system. He a special LPM burned so when the NO2 was on the timing was retarded. He also added 36lbs injectors. It turned out the he could only use it in 3rd or higher or the tires would go up in smoke. His was a custom setup for 100hp shot.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Yeah, but on the gen4 it has oval ports instead of split ports and it doesn't have secondary runners/butterfly valves. I don't see where the fuel would puddle on a gen 4 intake. It's very smooth with mild bends.

And yeah, sometimes a dealership can tell when you've used nitrous. I have a friend that works at the dealership and talks w/ mechanics all the time. They love laughing at customers/voiding warrenties because of nitrous.

But I think if you wanted to hide it, all you'd have to do is replace any parts that were drilled into for the jets, return the spark plugs to stock, and possibly reset the computer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anything you are going to drill into, remove from the car and replace with new parts. When you blow the motor, remove them and re-install the old parts. They will notice new fuel lines, an intake with a color that doesn't quite match the head, etc.

Problems with wet kits occur when you install the injector nozzle(s) far away from the valves. Older kits, which were designed to spray into throttle bodies mounted on top of the intake manifold, are cheaper than kits with 6 or 8 nozzles, and some people have tried to get away with them on the newer cars that have the throttle body off to one side of the motor, connected to an extensive intake. As long as you pay they extra bucks and get a wet kit designed for your motor, and place the injectors above the intake valves, spraying into a down-ward path, you will be absolutely fine. There is no place that would allow pooling. The plenums, though, they could pool a consider amount of fuel!

At the same time, if someone offered to temporarily toss a 100 or 125 shot on my SHO, and kinda had a "to see what happens" attitude, would be quickly shown the door. Setting up Nitrous is not a simple bolt-on, and even with a 50 or 75 shot you can blow a motor. You need to know what you are doing and understand the fundamentals of the process. If you are just going to follow the installation instructions, you should not be doing this.

For a 100 or more shot, typically you are going to need to modify the fuel system. Hi-po fuel pump, N2O controlled fuel pressure management system, higher flowing injectors, drilled fuel rails, engine management controls, all sorts of things can be required. Again, if your friend is getting into this for the first time, or just wants to check out his kit on your car, do NOT let him touch your car. I had a friend last year that wanted to help me put a new roof on my house (well, he wanted beer more than work), but there is no way in hell I wanted him working on my roof.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts