Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I've been driving my friend's '98 Taurus for a little while now and figured I could try fixing a few of the problems it has. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or give me some advice.

Firstly, a grinding noise can be heard coming from the engine. It starts up at ignition when the engine is running at around 1300 RPM, then fades away as the engine goes to idle. Once I rev the engine past 1000 RPM, it starts up again until I pass 1300 RPM. I'm thinking it might be the fan belt or something with the exhaust system, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, the brake warning light is constantly on but disappears incidentally upon application of the brake pedal. I've read a few threads on here about brake fluid or cleaning the brake switch. I've checked the brake fluid level and it's normal, and I tried locating the brake switch to clean it, but I can't seem to find it.

Finally, a lound CLUNK can be heard from the rear of the car when turning onto a driveway with a raised curb. I'm not sure if something's up with the suspension or maybe something just isn't secured in the trunk, I was planning on moving some stuff around in the spare tire compartment to see if maybe something got loose and is banging against the floorpan.

It also has that dash separation issue, but I'll get to that in the spring or summer.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Try spraying the e-brake plunger switch with wd-40 just above the e-brake pedal on its arm. Clunk in the rear sounds like a broken sway bar end link.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All righty, I bought a can of WD-40 last week since the door lock quit working, so I'll see if I can get to that switch.

Broken sway bar sounds like a lot of work to fix...

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Not swaybar, swaybar endlink. Piece of cake. Click on search or topic finder at the top of this page for how-to info. Also, when youre ready to address the dash separation issue, there is an excellent tutorial in the topic finder. Click on it and scroll down to interior, then dash separation fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, I'll have to see if I can find someone with a floor jack and jack stands to make the fix (I live in a college dorm), but sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the fan belt looks okay. Not sure what else could be causing that grinding noise, someone told me the exhaust heat shield might be rusted and is rattling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts