Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens all the time - but today I did not see it coming. Slow traffic - someone in the left lane leaves a gap to let someone make a left in front of them. Problem is... I was coming up the right lane and he made his left right into me!

He was not going that fast - neither was I. It sure felt like a pretty good hit. His F150 got it's frame rails bent in front and his bumper and grill was messed up. I am not sure of all the damage to my car (as far as internals). I am worried that the hit on the wheel could damage the transaxle.

A few downsized pics show the "moderate" damage...

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear about this. :( I assume nobody was hurt, so that's good. :) Hope they get your car back to normal fast.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Sorry man...

A friend of mine got his newly bought 1994 Cougar hit yesterday. He was parked on the left hand side of a one way street, with an intersection behind him. Someone wasn't paying attention and hit a bump, then swerved and nailed the back of his car. It just got towed, but it doesn't look good. He's kinda happy though, because he paid $350 for the car and he'll probably get like 2 grand or so if the car gets totalled...

JR

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rental that his insurance company got me is an '04 Sable GS - same color as my Taurus. It's just like sitting in my car for the most part - just missing the extra 50 ponies from my 'tec! Driving a Vulcan after a Duratec - you really notice the missing HP.

No word or contact from his insurance yet - but as long as they are paying for the rental I can wait.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Sep 30 2004, 04:51 AM
Rental that his insurance company got me is an '04 Sable GS - same color as my Taurus. It's just like sitting in my car for the most part - just missing the extra 50 ponies from my 'tec! Driving a Vulcan after a Duratec - you really notice the missing HP.

No word or contact from his insurance yet - but as long as they are paying for the rental I can wait.
Enjoy the information display and the accompanying warning chime when you open a door or apply the parking brake. All the warnings are duplicated by conventional warning lamps.....

The average MPG display is kind of fun if not accurate. It's fun when you first reset it and your MPG drops from 87 to 3.2

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... information display is kind of neat - but the chimes are annoying as heck.

No info on my car yet - the guy who hit me was from out of town - just an hour away or so. His insurance (Progressive) is being a little sluggish. They got me a rental right away, so I guess I can just wait until they bother getting around to my car. I do miss the 'tec though!

I've been looking around at cars just in case they total it (probably will not though). Having a hard time finding another SES + 'tec + leather like I have. Didn't think it would be that hard. Perhaps a Grand Prix GT this time... ;)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Oct 1 2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah... information display is kind of neat - but the chimes are annoying as heck.

No info on my car yet - the guy who hit me was from out of town - just an hour away or so. His insurance (Progressive) is being a little sluggish. They got me a rental right away, so I guess I can just wait until they bother getting around to my car. I do miss the 'tec though!

I've been looking around at cars just in case they total it (probably will not though). Having a hard time finding another SES + 'tec + leather like I have. Didn't think it would be that hard. Perhaps a Grand Prix GT this time... ;)
Japan > GM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Japan $$ > GM $$

Mustang GT - I wish! Problem is, I a sporting "family sedan" with decent milage - thus, the Taurus with a 'tec.

I found an '03 Taurus with a 'tec I like (SEL) and another '01 that is decent, just wrong color. Any other suggestions for a decent sporty family sedan for mid $10k range with under 50k miles?

I should find out tomorrow if it is totalled or repairable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, finally heard from the insurance company after one week. It took them a while to get an adjuster to look at the car. The did not total the car :D - they just moved it to their shop to look at in detail and give me the estimate for cost and time...

They just got done tearing down the car to see all the damage; almost $5k of damage - new fender, door, pillar repair, new wheel, tire, headlight, grill, suspension components, and repair/refinish some other parts. Not too bad - but it's going to take them 20 days! Ouch!

The only good thing is that I am putting 60+ miles per day on a rental instead of my car :D

One question - they said they are repairing the right-side wheel that got a little dented on the edge when I hit the curb. Can the really repair the wheels? I have the standard cast-aluminum(?) wheels for the Gen4's.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Oct 7 2004, 07:44 PM
The did not total the car :D - they just moved it to their shop to look at in detail and give me the estimate for cost and time...
Are you saying it is in The Insurance company's shop?

I would make sure they use only Ford parts and not aftermarket will fit parts.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly 30 days after the accident and they call me to tell me the car is ready. I go to pick it up and inspect it. It "looked" really good - new tires and wheels in front - new fender - new door - new headlight - new/blended paint - etc. etc. $5700 in repairs all together.

I drove off the lot and I hear a roaring noise... wheel bearing. I take it back 20 minutes later and I am back in the same rental. :angry: I also found a ding on the hood that they said was there before they got it. Luckily I had pictures I took right after he accident that shows the ding was not there.

They are fixing the ding now and hopefully the wheel bearing. I also told them it seemed really sluggish for a 200HP car - they said I need new spark plug wires. Whatever.

I'll have to be honest - after driving an '04 Impala the last two weeks (Enterprise switched out the Sable after first two weeks); is was strange to drive the Taurus again. Impala is very peppy with its 3.4 L engine - and has a decent engine growl. :unsure:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I have my car back and they fixed the ding in the hood and replaced the battery (must have cracked some plates in the accident).

Unfortunately, I still have my wheel noise. They said it is not the wheel bearings and I am probably hearing noise from the new tires (there are raised bumps from the mold). I still think there is something else wrong.

The noise is loudest between 45 and 55 miles per hour - and sort of drones. I still think it is the wheel bearing - a buddy of mine thinks one of the shafts may be slightly bent and is off-balance now. Any other ideas?

My next step is to take it to an independent mechanic and get an evaluation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more thing... the driver-side power window "auto" function no longer works. This is where you can press the down button and then let go and the window continues to go all the way down. The window operates normally otherwise.

Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Who did your repair work? I would take it to some place that will check the camber for free as well. Back in January, when I slid into a curb, the crappy stealership "fixed" my car and left me with a bad negative camber that is messing up my tires. :angry: After I took my car into a Lincoln-Mercury dealership a couple of weeks ago for an alignment they told me I had a camber issue and asked if I hit any large potholes or anything and said that the strut plates must be drilled out or whatever to correct the camber issue. I still haven't dealt with that yet. But I just wanted to give you a heads up to look for that. :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got my car back today (again)... I took the car back to the Progressive Service Center to with a small list of issues over a week ago:
- wheel bearing noise
- auto down on driver door not working
- paint overspray on driver window from when they replaced door
- headlight aiming on new headlight they installed is off
- etc.

They had it almost two weeks and it looks like all is fixed. I have not seen headlight aiming yet; and still hear excesive road/wind noise - but heck if I take it back for little stuff like that. I am just glad I have my car back!

Now... let's see if I can do some modifications for 2005. I need to hook up with some of you local ATL guys and see what you have done that is worthwhile - as far as performance and aesthetics.

BTW.. Last rental was a Chevy Malibu 4-banger... yuk

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Make sure it gets fixed completely. You deserve to have the car back in basically the same condition it was in before the crash. My brother went back and forth for the better part of a year with a body shop and insurance company (His!!) and the last I heard they finally decided to total the car and gave him a pretty generous settlement.

20 days is nothing. I got rear-ended in my 78 Zephyr when it was 5 months old and it was in the shop for 8 weeks.......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts