Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im putting together an exhaust for my tec, hopefully have it on within a month.

heres what im thinking.

I have a "test pipe" from sultech replaces the 3rd cat.

then a 28" inch 4" round body magnaflow resonator (much larger than stock resonator)

and then i was thinking of running 2.5" dual straight pipes all the way back from there.

How do you guys think it will sound?

and is going 2.5" a good idea CONSIDERING i have an xcal 3, i remember MWT, saying that he wished he went with 2.25 but i do have the option to tune afterwards.

Id just like to get some imput and he what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I always talk to my mechanic at the performance shop about changes before I commit to them.

I've been toying with the idea of opening up my Sable's exhaust but the Sable needs back pressure because of the already low torque our cars have.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
our cars have low torque? i always thought it was pretty equal to hp..?

anyways, i think if a use a 2.5" exhaust i could tune it and have some gains without the tune i already know MWT says 2.25 is the way to go. ill ask Paul Nimz if he thinks its worth it with a the tuner to go up that size.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Just saying, as you reduce exhaust back pressure your car loses low end torque and gains top end horse power.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i hate how that works but honestly i think you dont feel low end torque as much in a auto trans, unless your going WOT from a low speed.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
You might get some slack for not having mufflers when getting inspected. Actually, I KNOW you will. I was dicussing this with Mark a while back. Instead of putting an after market resinator, I was going to put two magnaflow round mufflers where the stock resinator is, and then do straight pipes to some nice tips. I'm saving most of my money for an xCal though, so I'm not going that route and just getting my mustang GT muffler welded on. But that would be my suggestion, that way you won't get flack for "not having mufflers"

:)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Seems like a lot of noise.

Mufflers would be good. The SHO SOurce catback will have a 2.5" main pipe split going to 2.5" pipes but the 2.5" single pipe is the main restriction. I would just go with 2.25" piping. You wont be able to match the flow of 2.5" duals.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i like the sound but it becomes too much for daily driving or inspection im going to get 2 Flowtec Warlocks, similar to turbo mufflers, so i can have a quiet sound but then un cap them and have the straight pipe sound when i want to on the weekends or whatever.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (s2knott @ Mar 17 2009, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709613
If i like the sound but it becomes too much for daily driving or inspection im going to get 2 Flowtec Warlocks, similar to turbo mufflers, so i can have a quiet sound but then un cap them and have the straight pipe sound when i want to on the weekends or whatever.[/b]

You can not pass Mass Inspection without a muffler :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
MWT (mike) is tuned, just FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (SilverThunder @ Mar 17 2009, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709614
QUOTE (s2knott @ Mar 17 2009, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709613
If i like the sound but it becomes too much for daily driving or inspection im going to get 2 Flowtec Warlocks, similar to turbo mufflers, so i can have a quiet sound but then un cap them and have the straight pipe sound when i want to on the weekends or whatever.[/b]

You can not pass Mass Inspection without a muffler :thumb:
[/b][/quote]

I'm sure there are...certain places...he can go where they will overlook that "by mistake."

I mean, the place I go to get inspections, they are so lazy, they barely look at the car. Only time I failed a safety inspection was for a bad ball joint when I first owned the car, every other inspection I passed, even though I know for a fact that there were multiple things they could have failed me on (broken rear springs being the most obvious).

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Technically, the 4" round "resonator" is advertised, by MAGNAFLOW, as a muffler. So he WOULD have a muffler on the car. Mustang mufflers are under the car, before the rear suspension. I see no reason why a Taurus couldn't have a similar configuration. Hell, I did. For a couple years.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i like my exhaust (gen 4 with gen 3 SHO y pipe and mufflers) my main power area on the rpm band is between about 3.5k and 4.5k rpms. i had the muffler cut off my car for a while with a glass pack that was bigger than the stock resonator and it sounded awesome but it was loud and without a cat yours might be way too loud, not that i am telling you not to do it cause you wont know what it is going to sound like or if you like it unless you do it. personally when i have the money i am going to go cat back same size as what i have now but without mufflers if i dont like it i will pick up some nice mufflers and have them thrown on but i am not going to mess with my cats even though mn doesnt have inspections

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Mar 17 2009, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709731
Technically, the 4" round "resonator" is advertised, by MAGNAFLOW, as a muffler. So he WOULD have a muffler on the car. Mustang mufflers are under the car, before the rear suspension. I see no reason why a Taurus couldn't have a similar configuration. Hell, I did. For a couple years.[/b]
That's how it was on the Fox bodied Mustangs. The S197 has the mufflers after the rear axle.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Indeed. It's how every mustang and panther car has had their exhaust set up since the 70's. (pre-axle)

I've also noticed it's a lot easier to make an s197 mustang sound like anus, compared to previous gens.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i passed inspection with my contour and my 01 taurus both w/o mufflers, and the contour had no cats at all.

honestly, most places couldnt give a crap.

no one ever looks under the car around here.

and it might be loud....yes thats why i plan to get flowtech warlocks if it is.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
With your taste in exhaust notes, I have a feeling you won't think it's all that loud. :)

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
true! i love loud cars, i just dont want my ears to implode with drone at 70mph on the highway thats the only thing i dont want, with the flowmaster 40series and 4 people in the car, my passengers were complaining!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Oh yeah....they're going to hate you quite good, with this setup. :rofl2:

The key is finding the quiet sweet spots, when cruising. 65mph, and mine drones nasty. 73mph, and the loudest noise my car makes is the hum of the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now its strange isnt the main point of a resonator to get rid of drone? im going to have a huge resonator! granted it will be loud with no 3rd cat or mufflers, but it shouldnt drone right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts