Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how i can make my turn signals blink faster on my 2002 taurus? i know it's cheezy and i see a lot of 4 bangers with it, but i juss wanna see what its like on my car.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
You'd have to take a look around and which ones would fit and give the desired effect but just swapping out your turn signal flasher will do that as that is what controls the rate of flash.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
hmm if i recall transistors, one with three prongs i swhat is used to make a light turn on and off. But i bet you need to replace the entire unit to get it to d that... i dont know if a LED would do the trick though

·
Registered
549 Posts
From my experience going to LED's requires the use of an electronic flasher. With a regular flasher, the current going to the bulbs heats up the flasher which causes it to open, then when it cools it closes again, producing the flashing effect. LED's don't draw enough current to heat up a standard flasher, so an electronic one is needed. At least this was the case for my friend's Town Car, a bull might be different but I doubt it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just go to your local auto parts store, preferrably Autozone. They sell 3157LEDs in packs of 2 for 14.99 beats APC LEDs which are 7.99 for one. Plus the APC ones are made for Chevys, really hard to find the ford 3157. The ones at autozone are in a green and white package in the replacement bulb aisle, NOT the rice aisle. They work in any 3157 socket. They are as simple to install as changing your light bulb.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Apr 18 2004, 10:50 PM
From my experience going to LED's requires the use of an electronic flasher. With a regular flasher, the current going to the bulbs heats up the flasher which causes it to open, then when it cools it closes again, producing the flashing effect. LED's don't draw enough current to heat up a standard flasher, so an electronic one is needed. At least this was the case for my friend's Town Car, a bull might be different but I doubt it.
interesting, what if the resistance of the bulb is increased by adding a resistor in series with it? wouldn't that make it flash faster by heating the flasher faster?

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Apr 18 2004, 11:23 AM
hmm if i recall transistors, one with three prongs i swhat is used to make a light turn on and off. But i bet you need to replace the entire unit to get it to d that... i dont know if a LED would do the trick though
Actually TRansisters are used for push/pull, among other things. What is inside a turn signal flasher is more or less just a couple of timers with on/off switches. It's pretty much like a 556 or dual 555 IC timers(incidently the 556 is just two 555's in one single chip) anyway, it's just a matter of finding a flasher that flashes faster and making it fit or whatever. you can try hooking up different ones, or if yer electronically inclined you can find the schematics and make your own flasher with a couple of 555 timers and then adjust the flash rate to your hearts content.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by fantacmet+Apr 19 2004, 05:38 PM-->QUOTE (fantacmet @ Apr 19 2004, 05:38 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-afi292
@Apr 18 2004, 11:23 AM
Actually TRansisters are used for push/pull, among other things. What is inside a turn signal flasher is more or less just a couple of timers with on/off switches. It's pretty much like a 556 or dual 555 IC timers(incidently the 556 is just two 555's in one single chip) anyway, it's just a matter of finding a flasher that flashes faster and making it fit or whatever. you can try hooking up different ones, or if yer electronically inclined you can find the schematics and make your own flasher with a couple of 555 timers and then adjust the flash rate to your hearts content.

Michael [/b]
for electornics class along time ago we used two transistors, two capacitors, and 6 leds in series... and it blinked the LEDs... :-/ i dont know lol this was like 6 years ago so i bet you are righ thten

1 - 15 of 15 Posts