Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the Pleasure of replacing the knob that controls the fan speed for the Heating & A/C for the third time since owning a 1996 Mercury Sable LS, which I bought used in 1999.

The Part Number is F6DZ*18519*BB

The Description is KNOB - 1127

The Hard Plastic knob is very durable.

It is the clear plastic inset in the knob that cracks in half after a few years of use.

WHAT A POOR DESIGN ! ! !

But then.... it's the PRICE for this Plastic Knob that is so SHOCKING ! !

The 1st time I replaced the knob in 2001, it was $6.00.

Then the 2nd time I replaced the knob, in 2005, the price had JUMPED to $10......

And, now, in 2011, the PRICE for the knob is $13.82..... FOR A LITTLE PLASTIC KNOB.....THAT F-O-R-D KNOWS WILL FAIL after a few years use ! ! !

And get this.... F-O-R-D has the GAUL to state the "LIST" Price for this little Plastic Knob as $26.16 !!!!!!!!

WELL Thank You F-O-R-D, for selling me the replacement knob at such a Discount ! ! !

There outta be a Congressional Investigation....

SO thankful to you F-O-R-D for POOR Design, and YOUR Price Gouging.

F-O-R-D, may you get the Karma YOU D-e-s-e-r-v-e ! :evil2:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
no kidding never had an issue with any of the knobs in any of our 4 gen 3s we have had. besides go to the junkyard and "accidentally" drop a few in your pocket...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also have never had any issue with the knobs with any of the Gen 3's my family has owned. I don't think it's a common issue. Maybe the issue lies in the control itself, like maybe it's really unusually stiff or something, causing your knobs to break from all the torsional force?

Considering how easily those knobs are supposed to turn, I can't imagine how they could be breaking on you like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will get some at the junk next time I'm there.

The knobs turn easily.

I think, maybe it's the Texas heat. Who knows.... I know I don't abuse the knobs... just regular use.

Sounds like it's just my vehicle... so I won't complain any more... :D

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The new replacements are probably junk quality...I can send you one (used)....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts