Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this problem for a couple of days now where the check engine light comes on after a short while and the radiator fan runs on high speed.
Checked the codes and 113, 172 show up in memory, no codes in KOER.
Would it be oxygen sensors and air temp sensor? I'm tempted to replace the coolant sensor which logically would affect the fan operation but nothing shows
related to this when I check the codes.
I don't want to start throwing parts at random.
It is 3.8 engine, oxygen sensors are 9 years old, the other sensors are still original.
Any pointers?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
113 - IAT sensor is/was high or open
172 - Oxygen sensor not switching – lean – Bank 1 (rear)

Well, first I would try to fix the IAT sensor. Did it get unplugged? The fans might be running because the PCM thinks the IAT temp is really high.

It might actually be time to replace the O2 sensors again.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
This happened back when I had a 1992 tempo. I was idling my check engine light came on and the car ran rough for a few seconds and the coolant fan was on high. After a minute the fan turned off and the SES light went out. It did this several times, I replace my ECT sensor and the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, first I would try to fix the IAT sensor. Did it get unplugged? The fans might be running because the PCM thinks the IAT temp is really high.

I ordered the parts, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I replaced both O2 sensors, no more check engine light but today I got fan on high after starting the engine. I made the trip and I know the fan was running because I could hear the whine. I came back and decided to check the codes. With engine off and ignition on the fan came on suddenly. I checked the codes and there was 176, O2 again but I got 111 so I tried to do KOER and after 000 and 6 the code reader shut down. Tried again, same thing. It is 1994 Sable 3.8, it runs well but there must be something wrong and I am at a loss right now. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Fan coming on with engine off but ignition on…that happens you can simulate this by disconnecting the PCM. If I still had my 87 I'd go check what happens when I disconnect the ECT and check, as well as what happens when I disconnect the CCRM up at the header panel.

If the car is KOER, and you unplug the ECT on a OK running car, the fan automatically engages into high speed. Not to throw money at it, but if you haven't replaced the ECT, that is worth looking into doing. If for no other reason than age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
bull geek
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing