Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Taurus SE sedan. When I turn on the interior fan, you barely get any air come out of the vents until the fan is on the highest(fastest) setting and there is a "grinding" noise. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thank you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not sure but if there is a grinding noise it sounds as if the bearings in the fan are shot. I had an older Ranger that kept blowing the fan motor resister and that turned out to be increased resistance of the fan motor from age and wear. I have never changed or accessed the Taurus fan but believe it is relatively easy. If you can get to it turn it by hand and see if it is smooth or hard to turn with grinding. Consider blend door actuator but don't think that would have the symptom of grinding. Does it come out the vents and defrost the same way? Can you switch from heater to defrost, to vent and have air come out the proper position? Think if it is reduced air out of each mode it is probably the fan motor.

Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air comes out of the proper positions. Could it possibly be the blower motor resistor or would that cause totally different symptoms? I was thinking probably blower motor at first.

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
^^^^ +1
Fortunately, the blower motor is relatively cheap, typically $30 to $40, and pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the '03 has a cabin air filter, make sure it's not getting waterlogged from a water leak from the cowl. That would block the airflow and, over time, wear the motor. I ended up replacing the cowl seal on my 2011 SHO myself after my dealer said the only solution was to have spare filters and replace them. WRONG!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts