Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having a ver hard time tryin to figgure out which replacement belt I need. I want to use Goodyear Gatorback belts so I have to order them on line and I want to ensure I get the correct one. This is what I got after hours of searching:

I have a 2004 Taurus 3.0L DOHC. It has A/C, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, alternator, Power steering, and crank on the main drive (I think that's it anyway.....LOL). It has a seporate water pump pulley that is powered by the camshaft on the opposite side of the motor. Sorry, gotta get all those key words for search engines.

The main drive belt is:
Motorcraft 1F1E-8620-BC

The water pump belt is:
Motorcraft 5L8E-8K543-AA

From what I have found in various parts from English to France and every where in between including the one place that could nail it down Goodyear. Goodyear Engineered Product Online Parts Catalog

The main drive belt is:
Gatorback --- 4060817 --- this is a 81.75" belt with 6 Ribs

The water pump belt is:
Gatorback --- 4030267 --- this is a 26.75" belt with 3 Ribs

I also found that the main fan OEM belt number 5L8E-8K543-AA http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1575439-post.html according to this is Ford Number JK3-262 which cross referenced to Gatorback 403025S

Can anyone confirm these Gatorback belt numbers for use so I can order them for replacements?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I called the dealer today and he looked up by my VIN# and gave me these part numbers:

Main Drive Belt: 1F1Z8620-BB

Water Pump Belt: F5RZ8620A ..... and stated it has a Tensioner Pulley as well.

He further gave me this number for further reference, as a "Short Part Number" for the water pump belt: JK3274

While using the Goodyear conversion table from ^^^^^ up there the Water Pump belt comes out the same part number regardless using all 3 of these part numbers I have obtained:

Goodyear Gaterback: 4030267 ..... Should be the correct one.

On the main drive belt: I cross referenced the new part number the dealer gave me for the main drive belt and I came back with:

Goodyear Gatorback 4060815

This number is different but still cross referenced with the original Motorcraft belt on the car right now.

So in short, I have 2 belt numbers it could be:

Gatorback 4060815
or
Gatorback 4060817

They are the same belt however 1/4" longer on the 4060817?????????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok figured it out!

So I got off my ass and walked out there to ensure that the engine doesn't have a tensioner pulley, well I was CORRECT, NO TENSIONER PULLEY!!!!!

The difference in the 2 designs on the water pump belts are one of them are a stretch design belt (for no tensioner pulley) and a different belt for (non-stretch) for those that have a tensioner to take up the slack.

With Tensioner Pulley: Gaterback part # 4030267
Without Tensioner Pulley: Gaterback part # 4030250s

I pulled the main drive belt and measured it at 82" so I will replace it with this as it measures up and verified by cross reference.

Main Drive belt: Gaterback part # 4060817

Hope this thread helps some people out there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts