Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 taurus with a 3.0 in it... would i be able to get a fan belt to fit a car without a/c and just bypass the pulley? because i dun have the money to buy a new compressor so i just want to not use it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Yes, you should be able to bypass the compressor. All G2 taurii came with A/C, so you will have to go to a parts store and tell them specifically what you are doing. I believe that rangers could come without A/C, so you might want to cross-reference them. Rangers use the same 3.0L "Vulcan" engine that you have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so without even taking out the a/c compressor or pulley i can use a fan belt frum a ranger without a/c to fit on my car? cuz i don't wanna have to customize it to fit.. i don't have alotta time to work on it.
would i be better off just buying a belt that is supposed to go on my car? then just see if the compressor is wut messed up my old one?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
well, the compressor will suck some power from the engine, even if it's not working.

You won't have to customize it. At worst, you will have to test fit a couple belts to get it right. The length of the belt will differ, that's all.

what exactly was wrong with the old belt? Is ther any signs of wear to the compressor pulley? if it tore the ribs on the belt up, there will usually be bits of the belt in the ribs of the pulley.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the belt just wore down i believe... because there wuz no trace of the a/c not working. the compressor just makes a noise like poprocks in ur mouth kinda sound i guess... i brought it to the dealership but they said the whole works for the a/c so i'm gonna bring it to a mechanic n see wut they say cuz the dealership tells u everything that looks like it has a little bit of wear on it.. so my fan belt finally gave out tho.. it snapped as i was turning a corner so it wuz hard to turn with no power steering.. the car is parked about a blcok away frum my g/f's house on the wrong side of the street.. o well.. i put a sign on it saying it'll be moved asap because it doesn't run. i think i'll just buy the stock belt to fit it because at $50 a belt i don't wanna mess around too much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, you can do that. The best way to find out the length is to use a piece of string, wrapped around the pulleys like a belt, then mark the string. Your mark will be your new belt length. As long as there's a belt available, you should have no problems with doing this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a good idea... hopefully they'll have a belt that size n hopefully the a/c pulley don't get in the way... if the belt wuz a little too big.. not by much but just a little would the tensioner fix it at all n make it fit right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts