Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to do some work on my audio system ever since before the fall semester started, but I haven't had time to because of school. This weekend is fall break for us, so I've decided it's time to get some stuff done. Between waiting for resin to cure, listening to Purdue-Penn State game (Go Boilers!), and cutting wood, I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Here's some pics:

One my main goals is to make some new kicks for my components. The one's I currently have take up too much room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to use 3M blue painters tape this time instead of masking tape. This stuff is worlds better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the passenger's side with 1.5 layers of fiberglass down. I ended up putting about 3 layers on each side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the base molds from both side and the new rings/baffles I made for the speakers. I used high density fiberboard this time instead of medium density fiberboard - the cuts came out much cleaner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The should start to shape up tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some electrical stuff done too and possibly an amp rack.

I haven't decided if I want to get more audio work done or go into work on Monday and Tuesday yet...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The silver marker is the outline for my mold, I trimmed away all the excess with some tin snips and a dremel w/cutoff wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I then stretched fleece over the shape and secured it with 3M 90 spray glue (awesome stuff) and staples

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I then stretched carpet over the mold, securing with more spray glue. I went with carpet because it's more durable than paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the passenger side completed. The driver's side actually turned out a little better, but I forgot to pull that pic off my camera.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. This is my second set of kicks, so I think I've got this down pretty well now.

Suggestions:
1) Use a respirator and gloves, especially if you're using a polyester resin.
2) Use painters tape, much better than scotch.
3) Use a drop cloth when making the molds.
4) Use a respirator, eye protection, and long sleeves when trimming the mold.
5) Use a router and a circle cutting jig, if availabe, to make your rings/baffles.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
What is up with the speaker wire hanging out of the dash?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The picture was taken after they were completed when they were hooked up for testing. That wire actually folds down from behind the carpet, it will go through the carpet eventually where it will be hidden.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts