Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Anything is possible but can't figure how. Does the fuse blow without the connector connected to the coil. And AC activated. If it does the coil isn't the issue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Fuse does not blow, when the AC coil connector is unplugged. It only blows, when the coil connector is plugged in and you run the AC.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Repair shops want $1,050 just to replace the AC compressor coil. I’ve dropped the subframe partially many times in the past, when replacing struts and lower ball joints, but I have never completely removed the subframe bolts on one side, let alone two. What kind of risk am I facing and what do I have to look out for? When do you know you are in trouble?

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Repair shops want $1,050 just to replace the AC compressor coil. I’ve dropped the subframe partially many times in the past, when replacing struts and lower ball joints, but I have never completely removed the subframe bolts on one side, let alone two. What kind of risk am I facing and what do I have to look out for? When do you know you are in trouble?
For me, soon after I buy a used car, I pull the bolts out one at a time. No need to hold it up with a jack if you do one at a time. Never had an issue with them not loosening up. If they are bad replace them. I got used one from the JY. Ground pickup. I grease the shank from the head up to the where the threads engage the nut. Torque to 76#. You will be good for life. Worst case they rust through like the pic and break off when you have to remove one. Ounce of prevention.

Need to loosen two at a time for struts and Alt on DOHC. Jack to hold the sub frame to max 1.5" down. Have to remove air dam to remove the sub bolts. Good thing to remove and grease the threads of the bolts so they can come off easy in the future. Then cutout a hol below the rad drain for future draining.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Good information, Chart. What do you think of the idea of dropping both subframes to replace the coil? Have you seen this done? Will dropping it 1.5 inches really give you enough room to get everything done? What happens if you exceed 1.5 inches? Do you recommend another approach?

·
Registered
22,531 Posts
^ Main concern is snapping wires, lines and/or hoses... Would think pass. side (front) could be lowered a bit for the a/c coil.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I found that disconnecting the swaybar link in front helps when dropping the subframe. Like I said previously I usually remove the compressor and swap clutches. It involves removing close fan and four compressor bolts and of doing a evac and recharge. I always worry about snapping subframe bolts here in Ohio

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
With the A/C connector disconnected from the coil, the CEL and Transaxle Light came on again, while my wife was driving the car. The bull managed to hobble 12 miles home, but my wife refuses to drive the car any more—it was her daily beater. Same fuse blew again and the same codes were thrown. My wife is going to give the car away to charity. I guess my membership to the club ends—tragic.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts