Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my 2000 DOHC Taurus (202,232 miles) threw a series of codes: P0743, P0750, P0760, P1451, P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, and P0755. Additionally, the check transaxle light came on. The air conditioner, which had been working extremely well, seemed to stop cooling.

Since the codes involve the transaxle, oxygen sensors, and air conditioner, could the explanation be that the PCM is failing? The engine still runs well and the car is drivable. The car has been very well maintained.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dropped and cleaned the pan, replaced the filter, and refilled with either Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF every 25,000 miles. Do you think if I had done a complete transmission fluid change the Amsoil way the transaxle would have lasted longer? How long do most of these transmissions last?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with Automender, sounds like a ground issue. Check and clean where the negative cable grounds to the body, also where the body grounds to the engine. Use dielectric grease when you remount them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to the PCM ground and where the negative battery cable ground connects to the body in the last two months. Are you referring to the braided grounding strap between the body and the engine?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dropped and cleaned the pan, replaced the filter, and refilled with either Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF every 25,000 miles. Do you think if I had done a complete transmission fluid change the Amsoil way the transaxle would have lasted longer? How long do most of these transmissions last?

My understanding is that only a transmission fluid labeled as MerconV should be used actually. Not saying that it caused any issues, hopefully it didn't of course.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn’t clean the end of the strap that attaches to the engine, due to access. What’s the best way to get access? If by feel, what size nut? Think this could be it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I cleaned it where it attaches to the firewall but not where it attaches to the engine. I guess the transmission is toast. It has been a great car. Very sad.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Did you pull the PCM connector and reseat it? I believe you have an electrical problem that is either a damage wiring harness or connectors that are corroded. It is hard to believe that all these codes get set at a single time anyway else. Not sure if you have checked fuses also. Not sure if the O2 sensor heaters have fuses but the AC clutch does and it also powers other things. Seems that it also powers something inportant from someone others posts. Please check your fuses in the interior and in the engine compartment. Not sure where they are on a 2000.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I reviewed my 2001 power distribution, don't have your year, and there is a 15 amp fuse in the engine compartment that feeds the AC clutch, transaxle and also the 02 heater circuits. It is F128 for my year. You can replace it but it may blow again. It maybe a shorted wire feeding any of those components. Could be a shorted AC clutch coil also. Could pull connector on coil and replace fuse and then continue troubleshooting if it doesn'r solve issue.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
I cleaned it where it attaches to the firewall but not where it attaches to the engine. I guess the transmission is toast. It has been a great car. Very sad.
If I had a ton of codes appear while the car continued to shift fine, I sure would be suspicious of the electronics and not the mechanicals.

Did you break a serpentine belt?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the car runs OK and transaxle shifts normally side with electrical issues. How is your battery? These cars behave weirdly when the voltage is low. How does the transaxle fluid look, clear, red, and OK, or brown, smells burnt, metal flakes? I suppose you could do a pan drop, check for metal, etc. It sounds electrical. Follow Automender12345's advice and trouble shooting. He has helped a lot of people with the common problems and quirks of the Taurus. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two Power Distribution Box fuses were blown:

Fuse location 27, 5A, Rear Control Unit, Antenna.
Fuse location 28, 15A, HEGO Sensor Transmission Shift Solenoid, Canister Vent, A/C Clutch Relay, Thermactor Bypass Solenoid.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts