Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem;

How can I make these look new again? Or even, how can I stop them from getting worse then they already are?
Anyone used Mothers Back to Black?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use tire shine and they look like new. But it washes off with the first big rain.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Theres a thread I believe down in cleaning and detail, its possible to take those pillars off, re-prime and re-paint them with a nice gloss black, pop em back on, and it will look good as new! :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
scratch out will work for 1.92 at wal-mart it take several times though would work best with polish wheel. also good for headlights. cleared mine right up

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Tire shine is just an oil that sits on top that makes it glossy. Not a very good long term solution, but it won't harm it.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Paul or Daniel used some kind of paint that turned out pretty well.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used Mother's Back to Black on mine a few days ago.

It worked well, it gives the pillars and trim a glossy look but someone who knows what they are looking for can still see the spots at close inspection.

It does wash off in the rain a little, but there's enough in the bottle for many more applications.

In short, Back to Black is not a permanent solution. Paint is... do a search for "faded trim" or something of the sort in the detailing forum and you should find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (OldWagon @ May 17 2009, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725894
Plus, being carbon fiber, they'll reduce weight as well... :p[/b]
Oh of course, of course. :lol2:

After searching in the detailing forum I found a similar post. But he was looking for something to restore his weatherstripping more than anything. I'm gonna try Mother's Back to Black for now and move from there. I'm a bit skeptical about painting them, as I don't want to make them look unnatural, or have them peel or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Kidding aside, Duplicolor makes a Trim Black rattle can paint that works fairly well, mainly because it's between flat black and semi-gloss in surface finish, and the pigment load is very light.

If you try to paint a white surface, it takes a long time to reach past a light gray. But since the coloration is light, the paint is in reality mainly the surface effect, which ends up being a nice semi-gloss like the original. Since it's going over black (yes, you have faded gray right now, but the new paint surface + the slight pigmentation brings it all back), it looks fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (OldWagon @ May 17 2009, 04:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725917
Kidding aside, Duplicolor makes a Trim Black rattle can paint that works fairly well, mainly because it's between flat black and semi-gloss in surface finish, and the pigment load is very light.

If you try to paint a white surface, it takes a long time to reach past a light gray. But since the coloration is light, the paint is in reality mainly the surface effect, which ends up being a nice semi-gloss like the original. Since it's going over black (yes, you have faded gray right now, but the new paint surface + the slight pigmentation brings it all back), it looks fine.[/b]
I'm going to have to give this a try. Now I'm just thinking about how I'm going to paint them without getting any on the rest of the car. Taping off will only do so well...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a whole bunch of fiberglass stuff here, that looks like an interesting project. And i got it all for free, so it'll only cost me time. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same exact problem with mine i decided to paint them black i used Dupicolor engine enamel i had a can in the garage and figured to give it a try i masked off my whole car with plastic paper and just had those i sanded them down washed them with rubbing alcohol and did like 3 real light coats of black and 5 light mists of clear coat and let it sit for the day they look great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts