Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
FORD TAURUS SABLE RADIO 2000-2007 AM FM CD & IPOD INPUT | eBay

I'm looking to replace the stock radio in my new bull with one like this - but are these legitimate or are they a hack? I didn't know an aux input was available as an option.

Just looking to get some feedback before I make the purchase and go through the trouble.
It's a hack. There is no factory aux input on Gen 3 and 4. I have done this modification for less than $10. If you have basic electrical skills, you can do this same mod and put the jack anywhere you want.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you by any chance have a walkthrough or a how-to? I really prefer to have an aux port as opposed to one of those FM tuners... I never get the sound quality I want out of them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
191 Posts
wow $125. i wouldn't buy that for when i could make my own or just buy an aux input device like i did for way-way less.
For my setup i have Pac AUX-BOX witch plugs into your CD changer port on the RCU. i will upload some photos of my setup later.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
It's a hack. There is no factory aux input on Gen 3 and 4. I have done this modification for less than $10. If you have basic electrical skills, you can do this same mod and put the jack anywhere you want.
Remember off the top of your head what wires you tapped? I'm interested in doing this for giggles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I also just added the AUX input to the RCU and ran the wire up under the carpet and console so I can plug my ipod in directly.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
The kicker with the hack is that you lose use of the factory cassette/CD player. Even if you put in a switch to switch between them, you still have to have a cassette or CD playing for the input to work. I'm been trying to figure out a work-around for this. I'm very curious to see how the radio on eBay actually works. I'm assuming he used a switched input jack and that you still have to have a CD playing, but if not I'd really like to know how he did it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't want to lose the CD or open the radio
and found a better way I remove the CD changer and install the frdr-aux auxiliary input
this device connects into the rcu tuner box in the trunk and in 20 minutes after ups arrive with the box i was listening to my iPod
For Taurus aux

·
Registered
30 Posts
and found a better way I remove the CD changer and install the frdr-aux auxiliary input
this device connects into the rcu tuner box in the trunk and in 20 minutes after ups arrive with the box i was listening to my iPod
For Taurus aux
I have this one but it has a 3.5 and a 20 foot cable running from the back

im thinking about selling it because I want a aftermarket radio

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For Taurus aux

So how do you switch between a CD and the Ipod?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about non-casette or CD radios?

I have an '02 fleet-delete LX, and only have the stock radio. No CD, No casette. After reading several threads about adding the aux capability to stock radios, it appears I am S.O.L. since I have neither...is this true in my case? An FM modulator is my only option? Not looking to get an aftermarket head unit...

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
I have an '02 fleet-delete LX, and only have the stock radio. No CD, No casette. After reading several threads about adding the aux capability to stock radios, it appears I am S.O.L. since I have neither...is this true in my case? An FM modulator is my only option? Not looking to get an aftermarket head unit...
Need a CD head unit? I have one with a volume knob that doesnt play nice in the cold (I can pull it apart and try to clean the pot), $5+ship....
Volume doesnt go up unless you turn it slow in the cold... It can likely be cleaned, but I haven't tried and can't if it's fixed after I clean as the car is totaled and no longer has an RCU unless I borrow a friend's car.
I can clean and verify for an additional $10, if you commit to the $5+ship to start with.

I know it sounds weird, but It's a few hours to take it apart properly, clean and reassemble.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
If it's plugged into the CD Changer port on the RCU you double tap CD on the ICP and it will change to the CD Changer, which in this case will be the iPod
Yep. One press of the CD button activates the in-dash CD player. Another press activates the aux-in.

Just grab a cassette or CD ICP with the changer controls from a junk yard or on eBay. Easy and cheap plug 'n play swap.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So is this unit an easy swap or is there more to it??
They are just factory units with an aux input added, so pretty much plug and play. But go back and read this thread from the beginning (and search for others on this topic), and you will see that most think that there are better solutions for the money.

·
Registered
920 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts