Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whats involved with changing from a factory am fm radio cassette to the factory cd changer?
What do I need to get and roughly how much will it cost and is all the wiring already there for it? Do you have to change the faceplate on the dash as well ? and if so possible to get the electronic climate control as well?
Any help would be much appreciated..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Just need the changer and CD cable. Plug it into the RCU and it should all work.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Do you have a CD button and "TUNE Disc 1-6" on the faceplate?

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I see you have a 96 model.
Unless you now have a 00+ model, the in dash cd player was not an option from fords on those model year cars. :)

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>Do you have a CD button and "TUNE Disc 1-6" on the faceplate?
[/b]
No this car does not have any cd buttons, it has a cassette player and manual heating controls..
[/b][/quote]
Then you'll have to swap in a different control head as well. Apparently Ford had tape deck units both with CD controls and without for '96.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>Do you have a CD button and "TUNE Disc 1-6" on the faceplate?
[/b]
No this car does not have any cd buttons, it has a cassette player and manual heating controls..
[/b][/quote]
Then you'll have to swap in a different control head as well. Apparently Ford had tape deck units both with CD controls and without for '96.
[/b][/quote]
You'll need a headunit from a 1996 or 7 with the CD controls, the RCU from the car that has the cd control capable headunit, and the CD changer cable/brackets like SHOZ said.

·
Registered
64 Posts
wasco22

Not sure where you are technology-wise, but I have found aftermarket stereos offer more in the way of features than the factory units. The two most valuable features in my opinon, anyway, are the ability to play mp3 files burned to CD (for much more music capacity than a CD changer could ever offer), and an mp3 player input jack on the face of the stereo. I replaced the factory CD changer in a two year old mini-van with an under $100 JVC stereo just to get the above mentioned functionality. That happened to be an easy swap. I was looking into the same thing for a 2000 Taurus and saw it would require a dash adaptor that duplicates the factory heater controls, but has an opening that accomodates an aftermarket radio. That would probably run you another $60 or $70. Yours would probably require something similar.

Again it comes down to personal preference. I just thought I would throw that out there as an option for you. If it is something you want to investigate further, crutchfield.com is a good car audio resource. They have a "what fits my car" search tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wasco22

Not sure where you are technology-wise, but I have found aftermarket stereos offer more in the way of features than the factory units. The two most valuable features in my opinon, anyway, are the ability to play mp3 files burned to CD (for much more music capacity than a CD changer could ever offer), and an mp3 player input jack on the face of the stereo. I replaced the factory CD changer in a two year old mini-van with an under $100 JVC stereo just to get the above mentioned functionality. That happened to be an easy swap. I was looking into the same thing for a 2000 Taurus and saw it would require a dash adaptor that duplicates the factory heater controls, but has an opening that accomodates an aftermarket radio. That would probably run you another $60 or $70. Yours would probably require something similar.

Again it comes down to personal preference. I just thought I would throw that out there as an option for you. If it is something you want to investigate further, crutchfield.com is a good car audio resource. They have a "what fits my car" search tool.
[/b]
I would be interested in your configuration, what model stereo did you install ? I think I would have to change the head unit as well as the rcu . Is there an aftermarket head unit with a whole in it for stereo installation in the dash for my year and make of car? would it be possible to see a digital shot of your install . To be honest I'm not quite sure what I would like to do yet, I'm just looking for ideas and options. I definitely want cd capability and mp3 would be a great option as well.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You don't have to swap out the RCU if you put in an aftermarket unit. You just need to disconnect it or remove it. Yes, you can buy a kit for the front with a hole for the aftermarket radio. It comes with the faceplate and wiring harness. You can buy it at Best Buy, or a car audio place, or Amazon, or eBay. Just look around for the best price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is what Qwertz9586 and I are talking about in the type of kit you would need - Aftermarket Stereo Faceplate See the link for more details.

Not your year, but an instruction sheet for installing an aftermarket radio has been posted in the encyclopedia portion of this website (looks like it was posted by Qwertz!) 2000 - 2003 Taurus Aftermarket Stereo Install Instructions The process seems somewhat similar. It explains what wiring needs to be routed, and what needs to be connected and disconnected.

The stereo I put in the minivan is a JVC KD-SX990. I bought it in 2003, used it in a Ford Windstar minivan, then switched it over to the Chrysler minivan in 2007. I don't have any photos handy of the stereo in the van, but it looks fine. I think it cost me under $100 at the time, It still works great including the am/fm radio reception. JVC still makes similar models in that price range.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The best price on the Stereo Bracket would be on ebay because all the stores I have checked at, it has been almost twice as much.
Also, I dont think it is possible to use a factory unit with digital HVAC if your car cam from the factory with Knobs. None of the aftermarket radio brackets have digital controls either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you don't find it an inconvenience you can get a cassette adapter that has a line input cable that you can connect to an iPod, MP3, CD, DVD, or other portable players. I have the factory Mach stereo in my 03 Sable LS Premium with the CD changer but bought one of the cassette adapters to use with my Nextar GPS navigation unit that has a built in MP3 player. I just have to connect the line in plug from the cassette adapter to the line output jack on the GPS/MP3 and then push the cassette button and I have MP3. The adapter cost me about $20 from Crutchfield's. The other option is a CD changer that works through the radio antenna. These are available from Crutchfield also. One of the reasons I deal with Crutchfield is that even though the cost is a little higher they give you many of the adapters you need as well as instructions specific to your vehicle and equipment you installing. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts