Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen enough of this to ask...

I notice a lot of 2010+ Taurus in my area running the headlamps as DRLs. In other words running reduced power, high beams only.

My '14 doesn't do this, but I've seen enough that I wonder why this is? I'd think it maybe phased in sometime after '14 but I saw a '10-12 the other day like this.

I know DRLs are required in Canada, but Mass isn't that close.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've seen enough of this to ask...

I notice a lot of 2010+ Taurus in my area running the headlamps as DRLs. In other words running reduced power, high beams only.

My '14 doesn't do this, but I've seen enough that I wonder why this is? I'd think it maybe phased in sometime after '14 but I saw a '10-12 the other day like this.

I know DRLs are required in Canada, but Mass isn't that close.

Anyone?

I could be wrong, but I think it all depends on what plant your car came from, and whether or not they decided to enable that feature in the computer. I actually went to my local dealer for my 08 and had them disable the feature as I was sick and tired of replacing my bulbs every so often. If you feel like you really need it, then it wouldn't hurt to ask a dealer. If you want it just to have it then don't waste your time and money for the cost of labor.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want it. I have the drivebright LED DRLs in lower valance.

Just wondering why I've seen quite a few that have this feature.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
They're not even running high beams as much as PWM-low beams. The shutter isn't retracted back for the high beam operation.

In the United States DRL for 2010+ was a fleet only option, mandatory for Canada.

On the 2013+ BCM firmware, it will support PWM on the low beam halogen or full brightness on the signal filament of the parking lights (though technically still PWM there, too), your choice. HIDs are not compatible with DRL operation on the headlamp, SHOs must get the turn signal DRLs.

In any event, it is easily enabled and disabled with FORScan. I had both halogen and amber/turn signal DRLs enabled at various points on my Bull.

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
In your 2014 you can turn them off with FORScan by changing the as-built data. You need an extended license to do this. Pretty simple procedure. You can also pay most dealers a half hour of labor to turn them off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used forscan to enable the DRL's in both my Sable, and Mom's Taurus last summer.(both '09's). I had inquired about this at my ford dealer 2 years ago, and they just looked at me like i was speaking Swahili, and scratched their heads..." that might be possible to do...uhhh... we'd have to look into it...)

in the Gen 5's it uses a reduced power version of the low beams, and turns them on/off when you go out of/into Park.
as long as the car is in gear, they are on.
I know it's the Low beams, as the highs use a separate bulb, and my Lows are halogen projectors, and they are what light up.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So safe to say the cars I do see with them on in my neck of the woods are fleet cars...rentals or former rentals.

Not something I want. I'll stick with my drivebright LEDs

·
Registered
2013 SEL
394 Posts
I know it's the Low beams, as the highs use a separate bulb, and my Lows are halogen projectors, and they are what light up.
The high beams use a separate bulb? That's not my understanding of how projectors work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The high beams use a separate bulb? That's not my understanding of how projectors work.
well, Mine's a Late 5th Gen,(2009) completely different housing, specific to the 08-09 Sable. Different than any other 5th gen Model.(Fivehundred, Montego, Freestyle, Taurus, or TaurusX), and WAY different than a 6th gen.

I'm not implying there are 2 bulbs behind the projectors, it's 2 separate lights.

Low Beams are the round projectors, and when you turn on the Highs, the lows stay on , and the High beam Bulb in the square/rhomboid opening next door light up...

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used FORScan to turn on DRLs using the amber lights (turn blinkers). I love it. I think it looks more like a cop car.

FORScan is loads of fun. Added Nav, DRLs, gauges, etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! I have a new project right after I have the dealer look at my non functional heated/cooled seats.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In any event, it is easily enabled and disabled with FORScan. I had both halogen and amber/turn signal DRLs enabled at various points on my Bull.

Just to update. I was able to change this feature using Forscan. I did like having the turn signals set as the DRL's but they interfered with my Drivebright LED's. The turn signal function of the LED's was tapped into the turn signal wire in the headlamps, so with the DRL's set as the turn signal, it caused the LED"s to both be amber constantly.

If I had OEM led strips, I would have left it set to the amber turn signals as the DRL's. I've never seen a Taurus with that feature on the road locally. I like it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to update. I was able to change this feature using Forscan. I did like having the turn signals set as the DRL's but they interfered with my Drivebright LED's. The turn signal function of the LED's was tapped into the turn signal wire in the headlamps, so with the DRL's set as the turn signal, it caused the LED"s to both be amber constantly.

If I had OEM led strips, I would have left it set to the amber turn signals as the DRL's. I've never seen a Taurus with that feature on the road locally. I like it!
if you set the DRL to parking lights switchback LED turn signals will be white as parking lights and amber as turn signals and if you set turn signal as DRL the switchback will always be amber
also if you set it to turn signal it'll only be in the front vs if you set DRL to parking lights it'll be the front paring lights together with the rear running lights.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you set the DRL to parking lights switchback LED turn signals will be white as parking lights and amber as turn signals and if you set turn signal as DRL the switchback will always be amber
also if you set it to turn signal it'll only be in the front vs if you set DRL to parking lights it'll be the front paring lights together with the rear running lights.

The DRL isn't the parking light, it's the actual turn signal, so in your example it would still be amber. Only way I can get around it is to lose the turn signal function on the drivebright DRL's but cutting the wire I have tapped into the factory turn signals. I usually turn my parking lights on anyway on overcast day, so I would have preferred the bright turn signal to be on with the white LED strips below. I prefer amber on black cars.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts

I know this is an older thread but, I’m glad I came across it. I also have the LED Kit from Drivebright. I was looking to activate the parking lights as DRL in FORScan and use them with switchback LED’s in the parking lights. Hoping for white top and bottom without activating my rear lights. You saved me some time and frustration! I’ll turn the parking lights on for the same result when conditions warrant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used FORScan to turn on DRLs using the amber lights (turn blinkers). I love it. I think it looks more like a cop car.

FORScan is loads of fun. Added Nav, DRLs, gauges, etc.
i know this is an old thread but id thouht id ask anyway
what module did you use for the DRL and what bits did you change? Also what gauges did you add as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
i know this is an old thread but id thouht id ask anyway
what module did you use for the DRL and what bits did you change? Also what gauges did you add as well
If you are just looking to turn on the DRL's, you can do that in Forscan without changing modules. The Drivebrights are a separate kit, and uses its own module. I had mine set for the parks lights until I got my Drivebrights. Then I turned my DRL's off and just use the Drivebrights now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts