Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons 96 Taurus is not used often, battery (near new) flat twice this year. I have read about EzyStart & EzyJump starters. They are small 30V batteries which connect via the cigarette lighter (12V supply) & after 30 - 40 minutes it transfers enough power to the battery to start the car. I have one on order, but not arrived yet, so I have no instructions. I guess we turn the ignition to "accessories" to connect the ciggie lighter. Has anyone used this? I'm a bit concerned that it could fry radio, computer, alternator diodes, fuses etc. The advertising spiel on the internet indicates it's safe. Has anyone used this on a Taurus, and was it OK?
Many thanks, Jules.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Power

My sons 96 Taurus is not used often, battery (near new) flat twice this year. I have read about EzyStart & EzyJump starters. They are small 30V batteries which connect via the cigarette lighter (12V supply) & after 30 - 40 minutes it transfers enough power to the battery to start the car. I have one on order, but not arrived yet, so I have no instructions. I guess we turn the ignition to "accessories" to connect the ciggie lighter. Has anyone used this? I'm a bit concerned that it could fry radio, computer, alternator diodes, fuses etc. The advertising spiel on the internet indicates it's safe. Has anyone used this on a Taurus, and was it OK?
Many thanks, Jules.
The power port should be hot at all times.

Power Port = cig lighter.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
My only concern is that after the battery continually going dead is that the battery becomes faulty. One idea would be to buy a small solar panel that plugs into the cigarette lighter and trickles the battery. The other alternative would be a trickle charger that plugs in to maintain the battery. Having the battery continually going dead and giving it a boost by this device will shorten the life of the battery over time. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: keep in mind that a dead battery requires about 8 hours on a low charge to fully charge from dead.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you should start the car and run it for at least 30 mins 2x a week. this will help keep the seals good, keep the engine lubed, and so many other things.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Collector car guys have the 30/30 rule. 30 miles every 30 days.
A float charger, not trickle charger on the battery if driving is not possible. Trickle will cook out the battery over time, a float charger or maintainer charger will auto. adjust and not harm the battery for any length of time.
A maintainer with a conditioner is the best bang for the buck, I brought back my SeaDoo battery over the winter with a Battery Minder Plus. Another year out of that battery paid for the Battery Minder.
Batteries that sit or get discharged will sulfate and short out internally, the conditioner stops that process.
Don't forget fuel stabilizer in the gas, cheap aggravation insurance.
My Mustang gets parked when the roads get salted and it stays parked until spring rains fully clean the roads. That can be from Nov. to April easily. It is not started unless I need to move it out for temp. garage usage, and never a issue cranking it up as it's plugged in the whole time. BTW clean fresh oil in the motor & stabilized fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Harbor Freight has float chargers cheap on specials, I've got one on everything, bike, mower, boats, snowmobiles, etc. . I rotate the conditioner around them every couple weeks in the off season.
Got 10 years out of my OEM Harley battery, it still tested and cranked fine but I replaced it anyway as I didn't want to chance it after all that time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for a lot of feedback. To clarify the situation, my son has moved to an apartment several months ago. The Taurus is parked under the building, no sunlight for solar, no power outlets for trickle/float chargers. To charge the batt we need to remove it from the car & take it to his apartment to access power. I agree with comments that he needs to use it, and I encourage that (however he can walk to work & lives next to public transport) but our petrol price (I'm in Australis, it's about $US5.50/USG) means it costs a lot to drive just for the sake of it. I looked at the Harbor Freight Float charger (not much use here due to no power supply) & saw it works with both batt leads connected. I've always thought this would blow the alternator diodes?? My question still remains unanswered, has anyone used one of these battery boosters on a Taurus?
Many thanks to those who have given me replies so far.
Jules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts