Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently own a 2000 Ford Taurus with a V6 3.0 Vulcan engine. When I got it, it was running perfectly smooth. Recently it's been having a idling problem. When stopped or in park it idles very roughly, the tachometer drops below 1k and dances from around 500 to 700-1000 causing the whole car to jump and the lights to dim. The engine light of course is on. There's also a noticeable drop in power and a drop in fuel economy.

I've ran a diagnostic test on it and it always reads the fuel is running lean, and it used to have "random misfires" but only up until I changed the spark plugs. I've tried injector cleaner thinking that was the problem, but no luck. I tried checking for vacuum leaks the old fashioned way, but no luck either.

I'm on a very tight budget so taking it to a mechanic is kind of out of the options for a pretty long time. Any help would be greatly appreciated though. I'm a do-it-myself kind of person anyway.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Probably intake and/or PCV leaks. Post the numerical codes.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah okay, will have to get my tester back first. I should of read around the site too first because I found out it most likely is the IAC valve the way the symptoms point out.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Tap on iac with handle end of a screwdriver or something similar next time the idle is acting up. If it straightens out, pull the iac and clean it with tb cleaner or replace it. Sure sounds like a vacuum leak though.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PO174,PO171....damn...

How can I check for a vacuum leak to know for sure?....Thanks.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Make sure to check the rubber elbow on top of the pcv valve and all the emissions rubber hoses and elbows. On a cold idling engine, spray some carb or tb cleaner around vac. hoses, intake manifold gaskets, egr, etc. and listen for a change in idle. You might have a vac. routing decal underhood. Also check the rubber grommet the pcv valve sits in for a snug fit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take a piece of rubber tubing, place one end up to ear, other end around intake manifold. Listen for the leak, you'll know when you found it. Just did this on my vulcan, found over three leaks. Had to order a replacement vacuum harness, new PCV elbow, and an EGR plate gasket.. Not Happy, but will be much better off when its smooth as silk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a picture of the rubber elbow sheila and 02sesvulcan mentioned, with the PCV valve at the other end. I shoved the ink pen into the elbow to make the location of the leak obvious. This part failed slowly but as it got worse, I could hear the hissing sound quite easily.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts