Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone how what size the rear subwoofer is in a 1999 Expedition? It's the one in the passenger side rear, and I believe it is powered by an amp. I tried googling it and that didn't help. I figure someone here would know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not positive on this. But, I would imagine that it is probably an 8" sub. Not 100% sure, but that would be my guess.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I tried to measure it and it came out something around 7.5, but i'd never heard of a 7.5in sub, so I wanted to make sure.....It's blown so I wanna get the exact measurement before I buy a new one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd take it somewhere before I go buy anything. Like take it to best buy or something and see what size they say it is.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by smc540@Mar 31 2004, 01:37 PM
Well I tried to measure it and it came out something around 7.5, but i'd never heard of a 7.5in sub, so I wanted to make sure.....It's blown so I wanna get the exact measurement before I buy a new one.
good luck finding an exact size replacement. ford uses odd sizes, same thing happened on my 97 explorer, and i would be willing to bet that the sub in the explorer and the one in your expedition are the same. the only replacement you will be able to find will be the exact OEM replacement, which last time i got a quote on one was about $300. your best bet is to get an aftermarket sub and amp, this will save you ALOT of money and hassle. good luck with it, let me know if you want some cheap suggestions on replacements

edit-- i would also put money down that your sub isnt blown, its probably the amp. those subs they put back there actually take a good bit of power, and when we took mine out it still worked fine, but the amp was toast... and the amp is another thing that ford has conveniently made it impossible to replace

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by hoss+Mar 31 2004, 01:13 PM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Mar 31 2004, 01:13 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-smc540
@Mar 31 2004, 01:37 PM
good luck finding an exact size replacement. ford uses odd sizes, same thing happened on my 97 explorer, and i would be willing to bet that the sub in the explorer and the one in your expedition are the same. the only replacement you will be able to find will be the exact OEM replacement, which last time i got a quote on one was about $300. your best bet is to get an aftermarket sub and amp, this will save you ALOT of money and hassle. good luck with it, let me know if you want some cheap suggestions on replacements

edit-- i would also put money down that your sub isnt blown, its probably the amp. those subs they put back there actually take a good bit of power, and when we took mine out it still worked fine, but the amp was toast... and the amp is another thing that ford has conveniently made it impossible to replace
[/b]
No, i'm pretty sure its the sub, cosidering it's cracked and all....

·
Registered
746 Posts
the sub is cracked, or the cover is cracked? just wondering because mine was wrapped in about 1/4" of ABS plastic...

either way, i still stick with my suggestion of going aftermarket sub/amp.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sub....there is another sub on the other side (driver's side) that is covered with a thick plastic cover, that one is still working well.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
It is an 8 " sub. Here is a link for the 2000, should be the same as the 1999.
2000 expedition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts