Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I would envision my supercharger install if I ever went through with it. The guy did a bettery relocation and out the supercharger and plumbing where the battery was. He then ran a jackshaft across the front of the engine bay to get power from the belts over to the supercharger. I imagine if any company is fabing this stuff, it would work just the same on a Taurus. IIRC the outside of the block is the same size on the 2.5's and the 3.0's, so anything he can bolt together like that, we should be able to do.

http://atomicinternet.homeip.net/newmcneco...harger_09-21-02

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is a very good looking setup. Too bad he didn't really do it right and put it in a Taurus instead. :D Those Cougars suck IMO. My gf's sister has one and it has had an insane number of recalls and problems, mostly electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so it's more like "weld on", but what I mean is that if it fits his block, it should fit ours. The jackshaft lenght and pully sizes should be the same I think. I'm not saying it'd be a walk in the park, but at least if he's done it, we have a starting point.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
definatly agree its a starting point, but there are alor of problems. First, you would need to ahve the 5-speed from a cougar or contour as it is a smaller tranny and the starter is not directly in the wa of the SC. The accessor positions are diffrent from the cougar, so you would need to remove the AC compressor. You would have to mod the ducting a little as the intake is in a diffrent spot. The other problem is that the jackshafts are guarenteed to fail. You would need to spend some moeny to ahve it built up, rebuilt or moeny set aside for when it fails.

All are definatly overcomeable, but the first problem i listed is gonna be your biggest. Id love to see someone do it....it would def be a first!

Brad

·
Registered
161 Posts
Its front drive!!! Cougars shouldn't be front drive. I should show them a real Cougar.

That setup looks bone stock. I think all they did was move the battery and the plumbing for the supercharger.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by My Car Has Peeling Paint@Jun 18 2004, 09:58 AM
Its front drive!!! Cougars shouldn't be front drive. I should show them a real Cougar.

That setup looks bone stock. I think all they did was move the battery and the plumbing for the supercharger.
huh? stock...with a supercharger....yea...who would care about that?!

i dont understand the comment you made at all.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, if there's a disconnect here.... FYI later model cougars don't have supercharger stock. They have to be aftermarket installed and even then, there aren't many options.

The way I see it, the problem with setting up the supercharger in the taurus is similar to the problem with his contour..

The intake manifold is on the driver's side of the engine where as the serpentine belt that you would drive the supercharger with is on the passanger side.

Further more, even if you managed to work the intake ducting to the other side of the car to connect to a passanger side mounted sc, I don't think there is any room to mount one on that side of the engine.

I think a roots style charger is out of the question because there is pretty much zero room for one under the hood (no clearence). Maybe if you modify the hood to add a cowl or something, but if anyone is interested in leaving the outside looking stock, or thinks a cowl would look silly on thier car (like me), it's really not an option.

This leaves the only real option to mount a supercharger on the driver's side and do your plumbing there. You just need to get power over to that side of the engine, which is what the jackshaft is for.

Now, I don't understand why a jackshaft is so unreliable. Don't you run oil lines to it for lubrication or could you get them with ceramic bearings? I mean you essentially have a simple drive axle, right? A Rod with a bearing setup on either side?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
All right, since noone else has done it I'm going to install a roots type blower on my '04. This is what I need from the Club: $70k to cover my salary and to find a new job when I'm done, $40k for R& D, and a lot of moral support as I tie the air hose from my compressor over the rafters and around my neck. :p

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Jun 18 2004, 11:06 AM
All right, since noone else has done it I'm going to install a roots type blower on my '04. This is what I need from the Club: $70k to cover my salary and to find a new job when I'm done, $40k for R& D, and a lot of moral support as I tie the air hose from my compressor over the rafters and around my neck. :p
MAN i love your pic of that 2004 taurus
makes me wish i liked that kind of stuff on my cars...alas, my dream is that of a sleeper ;D

though if that taurus performed as well as it looks, i'd have to rethink everything :D

·
Premium Member
500 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000+Jun 18 2004, 11:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3-fords1000 @ Jun 18 2004, 11:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PC_Marine@Jun 18 2004, 11:20 AM
Wow 3-Fords1000, killer photoshoping job.  I love it!

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=129203&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='398' height='261' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Thanks, but I can't and won't take credit for someone elses work. I'd like to thank $%^&$%*&%#(! for his work.(ID kept secure unless he makes it known)

-Jeff [/b][/quote]
:lol: Thanks for the "hide". that's my PS work, to Jeff's specifications.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
as for your question about the jackshaft...there is no oil supplied to it...the oil lines are for the supercharger itself. The jackshafts are unreliable bacause the manufacturer made s***ty ones. thats why they were discontinued for some time (the kit). They were recently brauht back. According to what i read.. (not fact) they say that they are not revised at all.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 18 2004, 01:17 PM
As with all things Taurus, the trans is the weak point. :angry: :ph34r:
that it is

the big question i have is: how come no one tries to change this in their auto gen3/4's? obviously there's a lot of work involved, but nothing that COULDN'T be done

right now i'm looking for a wrecked/salvaged (not TOO bad ;D) '04 (or '00-'03) w/low miles that i can get for cheap and fix to my heart's content. i've got one in my sights now that, even if i just restored it to it's original condition, it would cost me less altogether than to buy one from a lot with the same number of miles. hopefully i'll be able to get it, but we'll find out soon enough.

if i get this thing, expect a TON of questions to come from me because although i have friends that work on cars, none of them know many specifics for a taurus (i've impressed them lately with my recent knowledge acquisition of taurus info :D).

keep your fingers crossed for me plz! cause ITS PNUT BUTTAH JELLY TIME! :banana:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Jun 18 2004, 08:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Jun 18 2004, 08:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dant98@Jun 18 2004, 11:19 AM
Yeah, if there's a disconnect here.... FYI later model cougars don't have supercharger stock.  They have to be aftermarket installed and even then, there aren't many options.

-Dan
dumbass....i was mocking the comment that he made about "all they did was add a supercharger..." thats a big investment! I know they wernt stock. I guarentee that i know more about them then you do..remember, im the one that did the SVT hybrid engine. ;) [/b][/quote]
Don't quote me, quote the other guy, I was saying you're right. Don't get upset with me, I didn't run my project into a ditch.

G

·
Don't quote me, quote the other guy, I was saying you're right.  Don't get upset with me, I didn't run my project into a ditch.
pwned!!!111 :lol:

Anywho, I've seen the Contour jackshaft style SC kit, and also the SHOFast kit that Carter has (see pic above). Personally, I don't care for the jackshaft style. Too many moving parts, parasitic losses because of the shaft and related pulleys, etc. Plus, the mounting brackets for the driver's side for the SC are HUGE and heavy. Also, bearings were mentioned. Most of the kits I've seen use standard flange style pillow block bearings. Those are industrial bearings, and usually rated for no more than 4000 RPM or so. Depending on the pulley sizes, etc., they could possibly be driven faster than that, resulting in bearing failure. There are similar bearings that can be used for this application, but they're much more expensive. I'm guessing that's why they're not used.

Roots style would be perfect for the Tec, because it adds low end torque, something the Tec, or really any multivalve car, doesnt have. Like Dan stated though, it's not an option for those who don't want to mofify their hood.

Personally, I would be trying to mount the SC on the accessory side of the engine, and run the plumbing over to the intake side, or attempt to reverse the intake to make plumbing easier.

I shudder when I say this, but *shuder*SHOShop's SC setup for the V6 is really clean. It mounts to the passenger's side, and plumbs over to the intake. The only real issue I see with it is the 180 degree bend in the tubing to get to the TB. Still, it never stopped some SHO's from making way over 400 crank HP. / *shudder off*

Here's the deal, if it's OK with Brad to use his stuff as a model. Soon, we will have a Gen 3 subframe, engine and trans at my place. I can take some preliminary measurements to see how much space we're talking about, and possibilities of mounting an SC. We've talked about it for a long time, and talk is cheap. Let's make it happen.

Of course, I would need a popular SC to mock up, or measurements of one. I could make a model SC in the basic shape etc. out of carboard for measuring purposes, or use an actual SC if someone was willing to front the money for it. Even a trashed SC would work, all we need is measurments. I know of one V8 SHO that is running an SC on the passenger's side, and the setup is beautiful. If it works on that, it has to work on a V6 with more engine bay space.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts