Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Leaking OEM strut with about 40k miles on it forced some unplanned suspension work. Built up 2 totally new front strut assemblies with Bilstein B4 struts and Eibach lowering springs. Installed Eibachs in the rear as well. Upgraded the rear sway bar from the stock 19mm to 21mm, which is the largest OEM bar. Front end dropped 0.75", while the rear dropped 1". Smiles per gallon is up a bit! Still handles cargo well. Sitting at 165k miles.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Made it through another winter. Sitting at 172k right now. Been fighting drivetrain vibration issues for a few months. High frequency vibration when accelerating or under load. Speed dependent, not RPM. Peaks around 60-70 MPH. Goes away by 75. Been swapping around axles without any improvement. Noticed some rotational play in the output shaft of the transmission. Hmmm. Had an oil analysis done on the transmission fluid. 3x normal for aluminum, lead, copper, and tin. That's not good. 95% fluid exchange 20k miles ago. Beginning to suspect a bad differential bearing, but no noise. Pulling the tyranny requires dropping the subframe. Ugh. So, if this is the problem, my choices are: 1) Replace with another used automatic ~$1800; 2) Rebuild existing transmission ~$2500; 3) Manual transmission swap ~$3000. The later requires getting the car to CT or MA.

On the fun side, I have a larger turbo waiting to go on. Get a bit more top end without larger injectors and tune. With bigger injectors and a tune, maybe another 50HP. But, it'll have to wait until the vibration issues are resolved.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Finally got around to a seat upgrade! Got tired of trying to find decent 10-15 year old seats for my car. Found out that the 2011-2018 Volvo S60/V60/XC60 use the same seat frame as mine, just different tracks and electronics. So, skin the seats, swap the foam, reinstall the skins, splice in the seat heaters, and voila, almost new seats! Found a set of 2017 V60 sport seats in CT with 6k miles on them. Can't get too much newer than that! Had recalibrate the occupant weight sensor and clear the SRS codes.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Sound matting applied and swapped my tan carpet for black. I like the contrast it provides.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
You must really love that car to go through that much trouble with sound damping and seats. The workmanship looks excellent.
It's cheaper than buying a new one!

81 - 87 of 87 Posts